Can a Cherry tree pollinate a Pear tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Backyard, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Backyard

Backyard Member

Can a cheery tree pollinate a Pear tree?

I was just told that a stella compacta Cherry Tree could pollinate my pear tree? is that right ?
    My pear is a semi dwarf - Barlett. I don't have a lot of room and need a second tree to pollinate my pear - any suggestions on dwarf pear trees or can a Stella Cherry do the job.

Any information is most helpful.

backyard

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These won't cross but both bear without cross-pollination.

3. biggam

biggam Active Member

The Bartlett will only sparsely bear fruit without a pollenizer -- try Moonglow, Blake's Pride, or Ayers. Dwarf trees are sometimes available (on Quince rootstock,) but summer pruning can help keep a standard tree to a manageable size.

4. biggam

biggam Active Member

The Stella, which is self-fertile, is much, much too distantly related to provide suitable pollen to fertilize any pear ovules. Maybe your acquaintance meant that the cherry tree will help draw pollinators (bees) to your pear tree, which could transfer pollen from a distant neighbor's pear tree?

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Re: Can a cheery tree pollinate a Pear tree?

Hmmm, the cherry will not be a pollinator for pear.

If one of your neighbors has a pear other than Bartlett, you might get away without your own pollinator, I know what you mean about running out of room! Otherwise, you might have to grow another variety right beside the Bartlett and allow them to even mingle a bit. Conference is the best variety for your situation (I know, too late now!) because it is self fertile, and also scab free.

I would still look for a Conference as a pollinator, and eventually you might even remove the Bartlett and leave the other tree when they get big and crop sufficiently for your needs?

6. Backyard

Backyard Member

Re: Can a cheery tree pollinate a Pear tree?

Thanks for all the information everyone. I thought it sounded a little wonky..:)