Grapefruit not producing

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by flowertowner, Jun 5, 2006.

1. flowertowner

flowertowner Member

I have a grapefruit tree grown from seed about 20 years ago. About 10 years ago it was doing poorly in its pot so I planted it in the ground. I live in the Charleston,SC area. To my surprise the tree became acclimated and grew beautifully. In 2004, again to my surprise, the tree flowered and produced many grapefruit. We were advised to trim and round off the tree, but since then we have had no blossoms. Was that a fluke or is it possible the tree will produce again? We have not trimmed the tree since that time except at the bottom where it was shooting out new growth. Thanks for any help.

2. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Do not prune your tree and it should fruit every year. You can trim off the lower growth, but do not prune the top.

By the way your just down the street from me. Have a look at http://citrus.forumup.org

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Laaz, are we getting a group of N. Charleston citrus growers on this form? Flowertowner, who ever advised you to trim your tree also had the obligation to advise you that you would be cutting off all next years fruit production. Your tree should begin to fruit again as soon as it has RE-produced the wood you cut off. As Laaz said, leave your tree alone unless you do not want any fruit.- Millet

4. flowertowner

flowertowner Member

Thanks so much for the information. We'll leave it alone. It was such a thrill having a tree loaded with friut so unexpectedly.

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Citrus' new growth is called 'Flush'. Flowers and subsequent fruit will only appear on the flush. Once the fruit is removed, a one day event in the groves, the trees are ready for pruning. Trim it however you want it. Know when you do the trimming, that no fruit will appear on any Flush, or new growth that you remove. The problem is, people learn that they pick all the ripe fruit on a given day, then the suckers rot in the refrigerator because you can't eat them all. So you leave the fruit on the tree, taking a month or more to finally eat them all, and, chances are, the new growth,or flush, has already started for the new crop. Trimming at this time assures you that you have just chopped off the new crop. Aw shucks. It's just a learning curve.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

True that citrus groves trim (hedge) their trees, especially groves that have planted their trees in a high density planting. However, most groves that do hedge their trees only prune two side of the tree (opposite) the first year, then the other two sides the following year, and finally no pruning at all on the third year. This method allows them to obtain some fruit from the trees every year. Prunining is usually only done on groves that plant their trees close together. Without pruning the trees would soon grow together, blocking out all light to half of the tree. Also any branch that the fruit is not picked but left on the tree also usually does not produce fruit the following year. - Millet

7. joetoolie

joetoolie Member

Like Flowertowner, for about 17 years I have a Grapefruit tree that I grew from seed and, living on Long Island, I have to bring it in for the winter. This forum has solved the mystery of why it never produced any fruit. Every Spring, before I take it outside I have to trim the winter growth in order to get it through the door. Now I know not to do that. I thank you all and look foward towards next year and my first home grown Grapefruit