Beeches: Fagus sylvatica Roseo Marginata

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by AcerBob, May 22, 2005.

1. AcerBob

AcerBob Member

Will this tree live and thrive in zone7/8 Middle Ga. It is listed as being hardy zone 5-7. I may be pushing it here. Any ideas.

Bob

2. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Bob,

Fagus sylvatica suffers in most parts of Georgia. I live in the Atlanta area and have several cultivars including Roseo Marginata. The green leaved ones are doing OK. The ones with darker leaves not so well and my Roseo Marginata now looks like it may not make it this year. I have had it for several years and it's not much larger than when I got it. The edges of the leaves burn badly even in a shady location and for some reason starts to break bud in December and then gets killed back in January. I checked with Dr. Dirr and he confirmed my opinion about Fagus sylvatica not being suited for our area.

If it won't make it in the Atlanta area in sheltered conditions, I don't think it would stand a chance in the Macon area.

I have thought about trying to graft some of the European beech cultivars on to our native beech rootstock to see if that made a difference in them surviving here.

Dale

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As a side note, Fagus sylvatica 'Roseomarginata' is correctly F. sylvatica 'Purpurea Tricolor'.