What kind of tree is our puppy eating?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pawpuppy, Nov 9, 2007.

1. pawpuppy

pawpuppy Member

Really hoping that some nice plant fans can help me identify the tree I have in my yard. I recently moved to Los Angeles from London, so know very little about native Californian plant life yet.

It would be great to know what it is because no matter how swift I try to be in removing the leaf/flower debris that falls in the yard, I'm fairly confident that my puppy has been eating plant pieces (I'll spare you photographic evidence of why I suspect this to be the case).

Also, it would just be nice to know what's growing around me.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

First one looks like a Yucca. Does it have needle sharp leaf ends? if so keep them trimmed (just tips) they can really stick in. Second one is possibly a Cordyline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_obtecta

I am fairly sure if the pup is chewing on this it is ok. BUT are you able to find something else for him to chew on such as a rope chew or nyla bone or even a real bone etc. Watch the raw hide chews they can cause problems.

Liz

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. pawpuppy

pawpuppy Member

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that the pictures are actually of the same plant! The tree flowers, and is about 12-18 feet high. The picture doesn't show it very clearly, but the trunks are clumped together - about 4 or 5 of them.

The leaves are pretty sharp - I'll go and do some research on yuccas to learn a little more and see if that's what we have. Whatever it is I'd like to trim some of the dead leaves from the trunk, but there seem to be about 15 little birds who have buried their homes in there.

She has plenty of 'legitimate' things to chew on at all times (no rawhide, just a lot of ropes and rubber tires), she's just a little mischievous when our backs are turned!

Thanks again. :)

Edited to add: Just did a little research on Yucca plants/trees and found that according to ASPCA it is poisonous for pets. It also looks like that's just what we have in our yard. Oh no! Perhaps why various attempts to clear up her diarrhea have failed. We've just swept the whole yard and will be keeping a very close eye on her when she's outdoors from now on. So glad I found this site, and so grateful for your help in identifying the tree. A potential puppy lifesaver for sure. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007