How do I get rid of bluebells?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by AllThumbs, Jun 3, 2006.

1. AllThumbs

AllThumbs Member

I am a newbie gardener and have, in my ignorance, allowed the bluebells in my front border to multiply unchecked for several years. They now completely carpet the ground under 3 medium size rhodos and have popped up in between the rocks that form the edge of the border. They are also in among the perennials and shrubs further up the border. Last year I tried digging them out, but they came back in what seemed like greater numbers this spring. In some areas it isn't possible to dig them out because the bulbs are so deep, or are located under or in amongst the roots of other plants, under the sidewalk, the big rocks... While I like them, I obviously have way too many. Is there any alternative to digging up the entire area and replacing the soil (please tell me there is!!!)?

2. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

You can give them to me! LOL. Have you tried boiling water? That works really well on other weeds.

3. AllThumbs

AllThumbs Member

Thanks, Helen - what a great idea! You don't think the hot water will harm the rhodo roots, do you? The bluebells are growing right under them. But if boiling water will get rid of the darn things, I'll get out there with my kettle first thing in the morning!

To continue with my original train of thought, which was why I posted this in Garden Design, is: once the bluebells are gone, I need to plant something (perennials, preferably slow growing) that will grow in the same conditions as the rhodos. Since I am such a garden klutz, it needs to be easy to care for, available at the Home Depot or Rona, and I'd prefer something that at least looks like it might be native to this area. The border is about 4 feet wide and the lower part gets morning to midafternoon sun. The upper part gets some sun in the morning but is mostly shady. There is a large cedar tree about halfway up the border, on the fence line. I have a weird mishmash of plants in there now (probably should move some of them out). In the sunnier bit I have lavender, a Rose of Sharon that isn't doing very well, some daylilies & a small hydrangea. There are hostas and ferns in the shady areas (this is the only part of the border I like) along with a couple of shrubs I don't know the names of. There is an old stump in the middle which is covered with ivy. Now, I know I should get rid of the ivy, but I'll have to replace it with something, since the stump is pretty ugly but too big to remove. So, any ideas about any of this, anyone?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Switching topics from the title of the thread will likely not lure people in to address your query. Better to start a new thread with an appropriate title.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

First, I doubt you will get rid of bluebells with boiling water. As you say, they are in there pretty deep, and I'd be astonished if the water was still boiling when it got to the bulbs.

One thing you can do is to deadhead them to stop them from spreading further by seed. I just did that with mine this week, although that was a little late.

The other thing that might work is to pull up the foliage and flowers as soon as they emerge. If you can be consistent about this, you might reduce their vigour and density, as the bulb gets energy from its greenery every year and if you can rob it this way some bulbs might eventually die off.

Finally, you can dig, and dig, and dig. Replacing the soil is not the point; you need to get rid of the bulbs, and they are easy to identify. I wouldn't do it all at once as you will damage the rhodo roots somewhat, but any time you are working in a spot you can do your best to clear it of bluebell bulbs while you're working. Then in future years be vigilant about deadheading at least.

Regarding your other question, it is more a question of plant selection than it is about garden design, and I'm afraid there is not much of an alternative to educating yourself about plants and making your own decisions if you want to arrange plants in a bed. My own start point for that process was to read gardening magazines copiously, and if you're on the west coast you can't do much better than reading Gardens West, among others. Also, spend time at garden centres (not a big fan of the big box stores in this regard) looking at plants and reading plant tags to gain some understanding of what plants might do well for you, and above all what plants you like!

6. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

No, I wouldn't use boiling water near any plants you want to save. For the bluebells growing in between the plants that you do want to keep, I would just keep cutting the leaves off, starve them to death so to speak. Good Luck.

BTW, some plants for your border: soloman seals, helleborus, ajuca, astible, monkshood. I had the same condition as you before the neighbour removed his tree. Email me if you want some of my extra plants.

Helen

7. AllThumbs

AllThumbs Member

Thanks, Helen & Karin - I didn't realize it would help to rip the leaves off. I have been deadheading, but there are so many... and sifting through the soil to find the bulbs (some of them are really tiny) just doesn't get rid of very many and is backbreaking. One year we literally sifted the soil but it didn't do much good in the long run. The vast majority of the bulbs are right under the rhodos so it's difficult to dig, as Karin says, without damaging the rhodo roots. I'm going to give the boiling water a try around the rocks and next year I'll get at them in the spring when they first come up.