Identification: pimples on mango fruit

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by vredebregt5, Jan 10, 2006.

1. vredebregt5

vredebregt5 Member

Greetings,

Does anyone know what causes pimples on the skin of mango fruit? It seems to be a local problem in the Lesser Antilles (Caribbean). Some think the symptom is caused by spider-mites (Eryophyes sp.), but sofar I have never been able to find these here on leaves, flowers or fruit in relation to this symptom. Neither could I trace any particular fungus hyphae or spores on these with help of a microscope. Nothing under the skin layer looks abnormal (plant cells under the skin look normal and even the skin itself looks normal). The fruit will not ripen in a normal way though, and aborts most of the time when mature. The stone (seed) develops in a normal way, and may even germinate sometimes after planting. Most fruits on trees with these symptoms develope normally
    Some people suggested it may be a result of watering with septic-tank water, but I have observed these symptoms as well on abandoned plantations where never was a waste water system in operation.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years