Key Lime problem (with pics) please help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by icon149, Jun 4, 2009.

1. icon149

icon149 Member

Hey I have a Key Lime purchased last year in May (from florida) did great all winter inside under a growlight, moved it out for the summer and it has had a second flush of blossoms, and some new growth. however now the new growth has brown spots or sores and the leaves (so far mostly just the new growth) are shriveling up and getting soft, they have no structure anymore. It had been raining alot so i thought maybe it was getting to much water but the top inch or so of soil felt is fairly dry (by no means soggy) and it was damp a little further down, seemed pretty good.

I did recently buy a potted dwarf grapefruit, and i also have a Mayer Lemon and a Calamondin orange (all potted). the other trees are not exhibiting this (although my Calamondin has some issues of it's own (it wasn't under the grow light this winter and didn't do as well as the Lemon and the lime, I am hoping it will perk up once it gets acclimated to it's new summer location.

Does anyone have any ideas? is there anything i can do or should be doing? I don't want to lose my Key Lime, and i really don't want it to spread to the rest of my Citrus collection.

Oh it is potted in a mix of standard potting soil, pine bark fines and perlite. i water when needed (our weather here is anything but consistent). they come in doors if it drops below 50 F

Thanks all, i've gotten a lot of help and info form this site, this is time though i am afraid i need personal help!

Attached Files:

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I will be interested to see what the replies are in this thread too, because I have seeds for key lime as well, and don't want the same thing to happen to mine.

Did you harden it off before putting it outside permanently? Or did you just take it from under the lamp and stick it outside for good, instantly? Also, sometimes when my leaves are wet, and I let them dry in the sun, they can get similar marks on them. I also check for pest damage when leaves are deformed in any way.

How long has it been outside for now? How soon did it start to look like this when you put it outside? Right away, or within a couple of days? Sure hope you will be able to correct the problem soon.

Hope we get some answers. Great that you showed pictures...

: )

3. icon149

icon149 Member

I put the tree(s) out side for the summer at the end of april, i was moving it back and forth for a few weeks depending on the night time temps. they went from in front of a window and under a grow light (flourescant tube nothing high tech or powerful) to the other side of the same window so as to not be to much of a shock. they had been outside for a good solid month (little more) before i noticed the leaves and the spots. it started out just on the new growth and looks to be effecting some of the older leaves as well. i didn't see any insects or pests, i have had aphids but a treatment with Earth Tone insect spray took care of them. and i haven't noticed anything else... but i am quite a novice at this, got the bug for citrus on a trip to the Florida keys and have been having a lot of fun (and a little frustration) keeping my small citrus collection.

Thanks for the response and i'll keep monitoring the tree to see what happens.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

By chance, did you notice these spots shortly after you used the insect spray? What about fertilizing - over doing it? I try to figure out what changed or happened just before the problem, hoping this will lead to the solution. I am certain someone on this forum will know exactly what is going on with your poor little key lime.

I have seeds for blood orange that I would like to try over the winter, under my HID metal halide lamp system. I love winter experiments when it's freezing outside. I can see why you like citrus plants - they are awesome.

I sure hope we can save yours, and get it back on the path of vigor and good health, once again.

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The spotted leaves and the lesion on the fruit in the far right pictures looks like a disease called Lime Anthracnose, caused by the fungus Colletotrichum acutatum. Lime anthracnose occurs throughout the humid areas of the Americas. Did you notice if this lesion had an orange look to it when it was fresh? Mind you I am not 100 percent sure. Key lime (also know as Mexican lime) is the only known host of the disease, therefore if it is indeed as I expect the disease will not transfer to any of your other citrus varieties. This disease is devastating in high rainfall areas, therefore keep the foliage of your Key lime as dry as possible. Lime anthracnose is difficult to control because of the constant emergence of new leaves, and frequent flowering. Contact fungicides such as mancozeb and captafol are effective when sprayed upon both the upper and lower portions of the foliage. Triazole has also shown promise for disease control. The best to this tree. Millet (1,324-)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, now that you said it Millet - I saw a picture of lime diseased leaves, and I am thinking you could very well be right.

Gosh, we get muggy humid weather here too, so I hope that won't happen to mine.

: O

7. icon149

icon149 Member

Thanks Millet that makes a lot of sense... we had a week of pretty much daily rain and thunderstorms and it was just after this week that I noticed the damage to the new leaves. I think the Lesion on the Fruit had been there for a while so I'm not sure about the color.

In the first photo between the two damaged new leaves you can see an older (dark green) leaf that has some orange spots and a ring of orange around the spot. could this be a better indicator?

We are supose to be getting more rain (looks like all week in Raleigh) so should i put the Key Lime back inside? I'm afraid moving it in and out might also exasperate the problem by stressing the tree even more.

Thanks again for your help. I'll try to find a fungicide and see if that helps.

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes Millet, I am interested to know if the keylime should go back inside too...

Also, we have extremely hot and muggy summers here. The humidity can get so disgusting at times, that you can barely do anything! Should I bother trying to grow a lime tree outside at all?

I have exceptionally sunny and bright windows, as well as a 400 W metal halide light system. Wondering if it would be better for me to grow my lime tree inside in air conditioning, and avoid the humidity altogether? It seems limes don't do well in muggy weather, is this correct? Just curious, if you think I will have problems growing one outside with our stickiness?

Thanks Millet.

9. Millet

When a plant has a fungus problem, it is always good to keep the foliage dry. You can set the tree on the porch or under shelter during the rain. Moving the tree around should not cause much trouble. Hollyberry, sure you should grow a Key lime. Actually Key limes are among the earliest citrus variety to flower and fruit when planted from seed. After planting, you can expect the tree to begin flowering in approximately 2 years. - Millet (1,320-)

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, but I'm asking if I should grow one outside here, because of our extreme humidity? Or should I keep it inside in air conditioning instead? Will the humidity cause fungal problems to start?

11. Millet

Being in Canada, your location would not have any citrus diseases or fungus inoculates. Especially this fungus, because it is a host specific fungus, that only attacks Key Limes. London Ontario is not a location with many Key Limes to established a foundation for the culture of this fungus. You should be very very safe, no matter the amount of humidity. You can put your Key Lime out side on nice days. - Millet (1320)

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh this is such great news Millet! Thanks for the reply.

13. icon149

icon149 Member

Follow up question/ update,

I purchased a fungicide (actually for my lawn/brown spot) but it is also OK to use on ornamental trees and fruit and nut trees, it listed anthracnose as one of the conditions it can be used to treat (but not specifically lime anthracnose). I am hoping this will help to cure/contain the fungus on the lime. the active ingredient is Myclobutanil (it is a spectricide product i picked up at Lowe's).

It has been dry this week so far and i am getting more new growth that up until now looks ok, I have been trying to spray additional new growth as i see it.

Millet will this be a good preventative or do i need to go on a hunt for one of the specific fungicides you listed? (i couldn't find anything at the big box stores).

Thanks for the help, i'll keep monitoring the tree and give you updates if i see the condition return when the rain and humidity returns to this area.

14. Millet

Myclobutanil is a triazole fungicide, actually it is really a steroid that works by killing the fungi's membrane. It should work fine. After you treat the tree, there is no need to keep on spraying, unless you see a return of the problem. The best of luck. - Millet (1,304-)

15. nolepilot

nolepilot Member

Millet, First, thank you for all the time you have taken to help us all out. Much appreciated. Now to add more , let me hit you with another. I have a Key Lime tree that has had a few problems, but now has a new and bigger one. Recently, I noticed some orange circles appering on the branches. They didn't seem to be affecting the plant, and as I had just recently ended a fire ant and sugar ant infestation, I was giving the tree some time for recovery before I started a new war. Yesterday, however, all of the leaves on one branch curled up and fell off. I'm not sure if this is a fungus, and also unsure of how to proceed. Several people have advised cutting off the branches, but I was hoping that a fungicide might exist that would work before having to prune such a small tree. I will try to attach the pictures I have. Many thanks in advance for your help, and thank you again for your service to those of us that are working on our black thumbs.

Attached Files:

16. Millet

Nolepiolt, I sorry but I do not know what is wrong with your tree. If it was my tree I would cut off the diseased limb, then sterilize the pruners with alcohol. You can also have your county adviser take a look at it, perhaps he might know the problem. Good luck. - Millet (1,284-)