Acer palmatum 'Spring Delight'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 31, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My Spring Delight dissectum has been a robust grower, increasing in size by about 25% per year for the past three years (with NO fertilization). The spring color is light green with red edging on the leaves, colors that hold well into summer. Though it's apparently a seedling from Viridis propagated by Talon Buchholz, my particular cultivar has a medium-to-low graft and is therefore a low mounding tree and quite lovely. This photo was taken April 27, 2007.

Attached Files:

2. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is the same plant, but the photo was taken 10-17-07.

Attached Files:

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hi Mapledia,

How has your plant done this year? Would you think 'Spring delight' would be suitable for a sunny, exposed site?

The photo on Essence website is calling me.

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Dear Poetry to Burn, my particular Spring Delight is in a filtered light situation (actually moderately dark) and it's doing fabulously well and has grown a lot during the past year. My local nursery people say this cultivar does best in part shade to moderate light (for intensely hot southern Oregon). But I think if I were living in a northern clime like Philadelphia, I'd give it a shot and plant it in full sun there to see how it does. Since it's pretty finely dissected, if the tips burn, you will know quickly if it's too hot and getting too much sun. I guess I'd try it in a pot for a year in full sun, and if it does well, I'd plant it in the ground the next year. Hope you are enjoying this cultivar. I like it's shape a lot, and mine has been a robust grower.

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Appreciate the info Mapledia.

6. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009

Attached Files: