An in depth Gooseberry Article.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?BZHXJ Article about this much neglected fruit in North America.

Until I started a thread about the two types that I grow, I just thought a goosberry was a minor fruit. Apparently in the UK gooseberry growing is a major industry as opposed to North America.

I met a lady today, who has larger fruiting bodies than the one I have. I will get a cutting and propagate this fruit.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not all that major - you can find them at this time of year in shops selling a large range of fruit, but vastly less sold than e.g. strawberries or raspberries. They're very much a small 'speciality' crop for the dedicated.

Bear in mind too that in North America, cultivation of Ribes species is (or was until recently?) banned in many areas to control white pine blister rust, which uses Ribes as its alternate host.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The latest statistics I can find indicate that the English devote some 13000 acres to gooseberry growing while Americans only plant 900 acres in the fruit.