Arbutus: Strawberry Tree

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by ellarose, May 5, 2006.

1. ellarose

ellarose Member

Am I wasting my time trying to grow a strawberry tree in a pot? It seemed fine fo a couple of years but is looking very sad at the moment.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Repot in fresh medium. If that does not seem pertinent, then describe cultural history of plant (what you have done do it), and what, exactly "sad" consists of.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

In the ground or in a pot, its not going to be easy........re-potting every 2 years is the only way to keep it happy.

Easier container plants would be Chamaerops humilis (same pot for 5 years here with no feeding)
    Choisya ternata Sundance (looks fantastic)
    Pittosporum tobira Variegata
    Phormiums and Cordyline
    Yucca gloriosa Variegata
    Olea europaea (you may have to move to a sheltered site for winter)

4. ellarose

ellarose Member

Thank you for replies. I have repotted it, it had been in same pot for over 2 years. I have been watering it frequently which I realise now I should not do.
    The leaves are going brown and crumbly although it continues to grow.
    Soooo with less water and the repotting perhaps I will see an improvement. I am much obliged.
    Ellarose

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like a leaf fungus problem, which is common on these. But, it doesn't have to be that.

6. ellarose

ellarose Member

To RonB
    Have had a good look at the leaves this morning and have found a small caterpillar in the brown leaves which are stuck together. Do I use a spray? You must realise by now that I am not an expert gardener! Had a very small piece of land made into a tiny garden area during the autumn. It has been set out beautifully and I want to keep it as healthy as possible. Not doing too well so far! Have a feeling I could be asking you experts lots of daft questions.

7. Michael Zinck

Michael Zinck Active Member

Ellarose; I was doing the same thing, plus putting it in the shade, to my Arbutus before I found this site and learned better. Ron B and others are a great source of knowledge.

Michael