Paulownia tomentosa wilting after transplant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by parkeey, Jul 23, 2008.

1. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

i decided to move it a few feet forward as was touching the fence and needed more space, i watered it and now its wilting bad, will it recover how can i help it??

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Deciduous trees and shrubs generally don't transplant well in leaf. A plant with big soft foliage like a small paulownia is especially liable to collapse if its roots are cut while it is leaves are present. All you can do is keep it mulched and watered, maybe rig up some temporary shade to compensate. If it's going to make it wilting will eventually stop, top growth resume.

3. Larry Mroz

Larry Mroz Member

My friend gave me a paulownia stump that she had dug up, chopped off most of the roots and branches and tossed on top of a garbage pile. It not only survived like that for several weeks but even started to sprout. I planted it and it started growing extremely quickly. Now 3 years later it's a monster. So don't give up on it - even if it looks dead! Good luck!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Stump had no leaves present to wilt, along with a bigger chunk of stem tissure to fuel recovery. It is interesting that it survived the dehydration and exposure, being a wet climate species.

5. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

it come back to life this morn and looked fine, now we had a hot day wow in london 2day for once and i shaded it but it did wilted really badly, suppose keep shading and water lots , it will survive!!!