What is this Raspberry bug. Can't identify

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by 2234552234, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 2234552234

2234552234 Member

My raspberries are dying. The leaves are getting yellow spotting. Some are wilting. Some of the canes are turning a brown slime about 1/2 way down the cane. The leaves are also being munched on. I found a green narrow bug about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and very thin. It blends in with the canes and leaves. When I tried to catch any to examine them further, they fly away. I couldn't find it described on any of the raspberry pest web sites. Please help!

2. mkk

mkk Active Member

The only bug I can think of is a spittlebug sometimes called a froghopper because they have a frog face. The adults are usually mottled brown or black 1/4 or 1/2 inch long. The young are yellow to yellowish green they usually live inside a foamy mass of spittle. These bugs will suck plant juices of strawberries and other plants causing a reduced yield or just a weakened plant. I will check into it.

3. 2234552234

2234552234 Member

I think you may be right. We caught one, froze it and took a good look. I haven't seen the spittle yet, but I did see this am what I think may be the adult spittlebug. I sprayed a "soap" insectiside, for the last two weeks or so, but they are still there. Do you know a way to kill them without harming the raspberries. They seem to be very destructive. Do they eat leaves and stems too. If not I may have more than one pest.

4. mkk

mkk Active Member

All I could find out about killing them and not harming your plants was to wash the spittle masses off the plants with a strong stream of water, try to keep some native bugs that would devour these pests by not using pesticides, and try using a row cover. I am not sure about the leaves and stems other than sucking juices from the plants.

5. 2234552234

2234552234 Member

I think that it is actually a leaf hopper. I did think I saw an adult spittle bug, but I don't have any spittle anywhere. I read somewhere that a leaf hopper is similar to a spittle bug and the pictures seem to be closer to the bug I have. What's a row cover? I actually just have a small row of bushes. I love raspberries, but have been unsuccessful in producing one single good crop. The previous two years I had something that was making a small hole in the berry and then the whole berry would sometimes be miscolored and miss-shapen. I could never find any bug and the leaves ,stems and canes were fine. I asked so many berry people and no one could identify the problem. Prior to that they produced fine berries in a different location. The yield was small due to lack of sun. I moved them so they could get more sun. Thanks so much for your help with this years problem. I never thought about a forum until my husband suggested it.