Thiram seeds...bad?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by sphiro44, Apr 22, 2014.

1. sphiro44

sphiro44 New Member

Hi

Im a beginner gardener and I ordered some passion altari hybrid radishes from the kitizawa seed company because I wanted to impress my parents with some authentic
    korean radishes..... but the packet came with a warning stating that the seeds had Thiram on it Caution: Seed treated with Thiram. Do not use for food, feed, or oil."...... im worried the thiram will ruin my other plants and veggies that I planted.

Should I throw them out?

Thanks!

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The tiny amount of Thiram on the seeds will have absolutely no impact on either the radishes that grow from them or any adjacent plants. The warning refers to eating the seeds themselves; and you should wash your hands after handling the seeds. I frequently use treated seeds for the vegetables that I grow because the applied fungicide results in better growth of the seedlings. I've given up on planting untreated pea seeds early because they usually provide poor results.

3. sphiro44

sphiro44 New Member

Hi Vitog
    thanks for your replying back to me! so if I put them in my garden they will not hurt the soil surrounding my carrots and potatoes that I planted?

Thanks!

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

According to a Wikipedia article, Thiram has a half life of 15 days in soil; so it is not persistent and will not accumulate in the soil.