Not Sure of Exact Species of Maple This Is

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Geoff66, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Geoff66

Geoff66 New Member

My neighbor has a nice looking Japanese Maple that he said he bought some time ago at a garden center. He's not sure of the exact species and I was hoping someone here could identify it by looking at a couple of pictures I have. I'd love to buy one. The leaves are about 2-3" in length. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Geoff
    Riverside, CA

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Get a sprig from him and take it to plant outlets, look for Japanese maples that have same leaves.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Acer palmatum.

4. Geoff66

Geoff66 New Member

I guess I should have been more specific in my original question. I know it is an Acer Palmatum, but I don't know what cultivar it is.

Thanks,
    Geoff

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's certainly not an A. p. 'Atropurpureum Dissectum': what I mean is you can reduce the range of possible cultivars with a couple of photos, but so many cultivars are very similar that it's almost impossible to be sure. On top of that, where it is planted (shade/sun), the nature of the soil, etc. can lead to noticeable differences between two trees from the same stock.

Autumn colours would be another useful indication.

Maybe A. p. Osakazuki, although the leaves on mine are not so deeply divided, but mine is potted and quite young. Are the leaves an "outstanding red" in Autumn?

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I can narrow it down as far as Acer palmatum subsp. palmatum but there is not enough to go on to ID the cultivar, if indeed it is a cultivar; it also fits the characteristics of a seed grown A. palmatum. If there are any outstanding characteristics in terms of seasonal coloration, bark color or growth habit etcetera then it may be possible to narrow it down further.

Definitely not 'Osakazuki', leaf size is too small and leaf shape not right.