Yellow Cedar Health Hazards?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Eric La Fountaine, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent via email:

Hello, I was looking for the info about the yellow cedar and found your web site.
    If anyone know that yellow cedar has any health hazerdous contents I would like to know. ( include allergic facts ) I am thinking of building house with using a lot of yellow cedar material.

Thank you
    Mike

2. MdeHaan

MdeHaan Member

I know that workers in sawmills can develop a form af hypersensitivity pnemonitis (allergic pneumonia) when working with western red cedar, but I don't know about yellow cedar. Exposure to dust from other hardwoods can also cause problems, usally (I think) related to fungi present in the wood and therefore in the dust. I've also heard about allergic skin rashes The UBC Division of Respiratiry Medicine would be an excellent resource for you as a now retired world-renowned expert, Dr. Moira ? (am having a "senior moment about her last name - forgive me..) from UBC in fact discovered the red cedar pneumonitis and has done a huge amount of research on the topic. But I think problems occur with exposure to large amounts of dust in an occupational setting, as opposed to exposure of residents in a home built of cedar.

MdeHaan

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

My spouse works with wood, he started to be dilligent with wearing a respirator/mask.
    He started to get a throat clearing thing and flem, every time he worked with red cedar, I would imagine that yellow cedar is not really that different. With any wood, you should wear a mask, as the small particulates are irritating regardless of the type of wood.
    There are lots of good types of masks out there. Some are not to expensive.
    good luck
    Carol Ja