Poppy seedlings

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by soccerdad, Jun 5, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I scattered a lot of papaver somniferum seeds on a square meter of my garden and covered them lightly with soil. Then I abandoned them to their fate.

Now many "things" are sprouting. But since my garden is 99.85% weeds, I have no idea which to pull as weeds and which to retain as poppies.

I know enough to recognize and discard tomato seedlings and cucumbers (but where did they come from? I haven't grown cucumbers for years...) and the more common types of weeds, but it would really be easiest if I could simply identify the poppy seedlings rather than the far-more-numerous weeds.

So who will tell or show me exactly what a poppy seedling looks like when it it, say, 2" high?

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Weeds, and very thick. they must be thinned to about five inch centers when a suitable size. Here is some of my small poppies. When small it is difficult to identify the Shirley Poppies from the Papaver somniferum by the vegetation alone.
    http://www.durgan.org/2009/June/8 June 2009 Poppy/HTML/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, that is great.

4. scottg

scottg Active Member

I always have the tomato seedlings come up in my garden plots too. If I put any vegetable that has gone to seed into my compost bins, they come back with a vengeance one I spread compost the next spring. I guess it doesn’t get hot enuf to destroy most seeds..