Jasmine Tree losing leaves

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Lore Grant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Lore Grant

Lore Grant Member

Please advise; I purchased a Jasmine tree in early summer and brought it inside for the winter as I live in Ontario and our winters can be cold. Up until recently, it has been doing well but now, the leaves have started falling off. Any ideas about what I am doing wrong?
    Please bare with me. I don't know if I'm in the right place to post; I rarely go into chat rooms on my computer.
    Thanks

2. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Jasmine is sub-tropical and wouldn't have survived your winter outside. The plant needs strong light and a high humidity (very much a tropical climate). What is affecting the plant is likely caused by the poor light and low indoor humidity. Since photosynthesis had slowed down drastically and to reduce water loss the plant has droped its leaves. If the leaves turn yellow before falling it is a good sign. If it dries up and then drop it is a unhealthy sign, too dry or root rot due to overwatering. Underwatering leads to a rapid death whereas root rot sets in moderately slow.
    What action can you take to save your plant. First provide an artificial light source like a grow bulb or a flourescent lamp placed very close to the foliage, 6" with the grow bulb and 3 " with the flourescent. Then cover your plant and pot with a cover like a plastic dome or net to create a high humidity zone and to lower transpiration. Not withstanding root rot your plant should recover in 1 to 2 weeks.

3. Lore Grant

Lore Grant Member

Thank you so much, I will give it a try. Unfortunately, it sounds like the worst case scenario because the leaves are not turning yellow before dropping off.
    Thanks again!

4. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

You can check up for evidence of root rot. Remove the plant with the root ball and gently wash out the soil from the roots by hosing it in a stream of water. Then examine the bare roots carefully. If they are not soft, mushy or blackened then there is no root rot. If there is then you may yet save the plant if the rot has not reached the root crown or base of the trunk. You prune off cleanly all roots which show signs of rot and give the remaining roots a thorough wash and dip it into some form of fungicide solution if you have this available. Remove 90% of the leaves on your plant to reduce water loss. Then pot it into any soiless mix and keep the medium lightly moist. If the pruned roots can grow small roots and root hairs, you have saved your plant. Well best of luck.