Perennial Plant Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Fallonjd, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Fallonjd

Fallonjd Member

I have a plant which came up in my yard several years ago. I thought it was some type of weed, then it bloomed and has bloomed even in snow. Been trying to find out what it is for some time. To my knowledge I did not plant it. It has tough rough jagged edges like a weed and it's flowers are greenish white to bright white.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Helleborus niger. A popular winter/early spring flowering plant, not a weed.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Would love to get hold of some of that. Colour is very nice. I have a bank under my apple trees where I have several claret to greenish colours but this would go very nicely. I know this is the common name but they are also refered to as Christmas roses because of the time of year they bloom.

Liz

4. Fallonjd

Fallonjd Member

Liz,

Thanks for the help. There is one thing that doesn't match. They started blooming in the summer of 2005 and did not stop till a couple of weeks ago. They basically flowered continuously even in the snow and ice. It is one tough plant.

Jack

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm thinking lenten rose (H. X hybridus).

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Jack--I grow hundreds of these, Helleborus xhybridus as mentioned. And yes, they will flower almost any month of the year, tho late winter is the "normal" time.

Especially the young plants can throw blooms their first summer, and others might get jogged by a dry/hot spell into setting then opening some buds at various times of year.

We like to remove the "evergreen" foliage each November as it gets ratty, and obscures the flowers later in the winter.

7. Fallonjd

Fallonjd Member

Growest,

Thanks for the help and yes it did get ratty and obscurred the flowers. I don't know how it got in my yard, but to me it is an amazing plant. Thanks for the help and information

8. Fallonjd

Fallonjd Member

Wow, this is the first time I have on this site and the first time I ever asked for on-line help like this. I would like to express sincere appreciation for all the help and information I received so quickly.

Again thank you.