In The Garden: spider wart and weeds

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SillyGoober, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SillyGoober

SillyGoober Member

Just like you guys told me years ago my spider wart is slowly but surely taking over. No worries, it's got lots of space to grow and is looking great. One problem: my spider wart is also growing a ton of weeds in it! I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but tall "grass" is basically mixed throughout. I feel like I am daily finding grass and trying to remove it before it goes to seed and spread. The grass has really long, trailing roots so I never feel like I get it all.

Anyone know what type of "grass" this is and the best way to combat it?

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

These "trailing roots" are called rhizomes, a kind of underground stems. Many grass species produce rhizomes. Good example - the bluegrass (Poa sp) which ability to produce rhizomes makes it useful as a lawn grass.
    In your case, this might be some Agropyron species, for example, Agropyron repens = Elymus repens,
    http://www.briggsandstratton.com/Ya...rticles/Weeds/Quack grass - Agropyron repens/
    It is practically impossible to eradicate it completely, unless you spend many hours digging out all live rhizomes, repeating this exercise again and again...
    You can leave a few spikes for better identification - you can always remove them before ripening.