tropical looking, palmately compound hexafoliate small tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gfixler, Apr 14, 2010.

1. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

Someone cut and trashed this pretty young tree in July of last year. I brought it home to take pictures in the hopes of learning more about it. It has a small, distinct, membranous pith (not hollow or chambered). There was a sweet, somewhat minty smell to the cross sections. The leaves are smooth, shiny and grow in rings of 6. The bark is a sandy brown with small warts that gives way in streaks to a smooth, shiny green in the smaller, younger branches.

Thanks for any help with an ID.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You could probably grow it on from cuttings, as long as the foliage hasn't wilted too much.

4. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

That makes sense. We have S. actinophylla all over around here as trees up to about 4m in height, and I see them often. They always seem to have 8 leaves ("octopus tree" and all), so I thought that was a set rule, but looking up a few, I see that S. arboricola alone can have between 7 and 9 leaves, and there are quite a number of species in the genus. Looks like it's Schefflera sp. Thanks!

5. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

Unfortunately, everything has long since wilted away, as it's been almost a year since I happened upon the branch. Good to know for the future, though. Thanks.