Tiger Lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by kimj252, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kimj252

kimj252 Member

I have potted Tiger Lilies that have bloomed... Where do I cut them back so they will bloom again?

2. flowers 2 u

flowers 2 u Member

Will outdoor Tiger Lilies bloom a second time if cut back?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These are bulbs. There is only one set of stems and flowers each year. Keep them watered and fertilized until the foliage shrivels and then cut it off. If they are going to be kept in pots, they will need bigger pot(s) with fresh soil before the next growth and bloom cycle starts next spring.

4. kimj252

kimj252 Member

I have them in huge pots... I just don't know where to cut them back after the flower dies.

5. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

just take off the very top and leave the stem and leaves.

JadeC likes this.
  6. Kara

Kara Active Member

Don't cut Lilies back further than 1/4 of the stalk after blooming. The bulb needs the food and recharge from the rest of the foliage to prepare for next year. All I do is snip off the seed pods and leave the rest.

If you lop off Lily stems too low and too often, it will weaken the bulbs to a point where they won't bloom any more and may die.

But if they are a true tiger type with round blackish stem bulbils in the leaf axis all along the stem, you can also propagate a ton of new ones.

7. kimj252

kimj252 Member

Thanks Everyone!