Large Fern - Polypodium ??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by GailofOz, Mar 12, 2012.

1. GailofOz

GailofOz Member

We found a large fern growing in the roof gutter of a house we were living in. We removed it and planted it in a large hanging basket outside on the veranda where it is doing well. I have been trying to identify it for a while and think it may be Polypodium subauriculatum though not positive.

It has large fronds up to a metre long grow from furry, creeping rhizomes. It obviously takes some sun as when it was on the roof it received morning sun until midday (summer temperatures can reach 35C here in subtropical Queensland, Australia). At the moment it is growing in filtered shade but the fronds have grown longer as if reaching for more light. I hope to move it to a more open position as soon as I find somewhere to hang a plant at least 1.5m wide.

Can anyone here confirm my ID and let me know preferred growing conditions? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Could be Goniophlebium subauriculatum 'Knightiae', though the rhizomes don't look quite right for that. Another possibilty is Polypodium (Phlebodium) aureum 'Mandaianum', which should have brown-scaled rhizomes more like yours. Compare with this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26539099@N04/2615069579/