Tiny white fuzzy bugs

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by texasvanessa, Jul 20, 2004.

1. is it a plage?

I wonder if maby this is some type of plauge. It seems that people all over the world is having this same problem and no one seems to know exactly what it is. I would think that the older generation would know something but they are just as dumbfounded as we all are. The bugs here do look pretty much like the woolly aphid but not exactly. Does anyone know if they bite? Here they do not stay on trees. They are all over my screen door and they just fly and land on anything. I want to get rid of them.

2. they suck, and I think they bite as well

They are in Nashville too, all over hackberry trees. Looks like the entire south is being infested. I hate these things, they make everything sticky and gross. I didn't drive my van for a few months and when I went to drive it the other day it looked like a giant glazed crispy creme, there was so much of this "honey dew" all over it. I wasted about ten bucks at the car wash trying to pressure wash it off, and I didn't even get it all. Why are they here now? Why has nobody ever seen them before. Everyone I know is talking about these little white fuzzy bugs, but no one seems to know where they came from or why they are suddenly everywhere. I'm also pretty sure they bite too. We were out on the back porch yesterday all afternoon and now we've got all these bites, and there were no mosquitoes. I think it's these little white fuzzy bugs. They suck!!!!!!!

3. Snow Storm

I live in Murfreesboro, TN and have them too and they appeared over night.

I woke up this morning and it looked like it was snowing outside my window then when I had actually got into my car and pulled out of my garage I got a better look and they still looked like snow flakes floating around.

So of course, I got out to actually look at them. Big mistake! My car was covered in them, even after I drove almost 45 minutes to work in Nashville while it was raining.

It's like an epidemic lol

4. White fuzzy bug plague, Oct. 13th, 2004

I live in Washington State and they have arrived here just in the last 2 hours! What is this crazy bug haze? Walking around outside is an impossibility. Are they coming out of the grass? I've lived in the same area my whole life and have never seen them before.

Scary.

5. David Ross

David Ross Member

I'm in knoxville and Maryville

I actually like nature, though I haven't ever seen these bugs before. I've been watching these bugs for some time since I first saw them in town.

approx. 2-3mm by 1 mm
    In July they seemed to float like ash, not fly.
    They hve wings. without the fuzz they are white and gray.
    http://members.cox.net/bus/bugs/bug2.jpg

They are loosing thier fuzzy wool. I'm not sure if this is normal or if its from the severe cold weather changing.

6. Has anyone nailed down where these "Fuzzy Aphids" came from? Here in Nashville they are everywhere!

7. Ahhhhhh!

These bugs are EVERYWHERE! I live in Nashville, TN and my coworkers and I have been talking about them for weeks now! I know for a fact that they do bite. I have been bitten 3 times. Once at work (while walking to my car) and twice at home the other day while washing all the waxy sap looking stuff off. The city of Nashville has been taken over by these little bugs

8. I live in Nashville too!

I'm so glad to find others talking about this! We've had the bugs all over our truck everyday. We have a black truck so they really stick out. We didn't realize they were bugs at first. They are SO tiny and they don't move a lot. Like others say, they kinda float. We didn't put the "sap" all over our truck and the bugs together though, till now! We wondered why all of a sudden we had a problem with sap! LOL! That "honeydew" is stubborn to get off too! A guy we work with said he thinks they're "asian aphids", but I looked that up and I just don't see it. I would LOVE to find out what they are. Like others here, I've NEVER seen these before and I'm 42!

9. I heard they came with Hurricane Ivan

I too live in Nashville and have about 10 Hack berry trees, we notices a few right after the Hurricane and now there are clouds of them every where. My car is rusting from the honeydew. So make sure you wash it off often. Some people at my brothers work said said the Hurricane brought these buggers up . Now I just want them gone.
    I was trimming my trees and my hands tuned black and I couldn't get the stuff off.
    I'm going to call a pest control place today. I'll let you know what they say.

10. Re: White Fuzzy "things" Solved

Thanx! We think you have helped us solve our mysterious bug infestation.

11. I live in Jacksonville FLorida and they are here too! They are infesting the whole place. I work at the Navy Base and they land on EVERYTHING. They bite us!!! It SUCKS! WE have been trying to identify these fuzzy buggers for weeks now, thank GOD someone else has this problem. I was beginning to feel like we had some sort of isolated incident. I have even contemplated capturing a specimen....glad I didn't have to.

12. I have the same problem with these bugs in Columbia, SC. I have a large hackberry that's full of these white fuzzy aphids right next to my house and driveway. I have the sap problem which gets on the cars and the roof of the house, and then the sap turns black - very difficult to remove from the cars and really ugly on the house. These bugs and their sap are all over the place. It appears that the hackberry is the only tree in my yard that's infected.

I did notice ladybug larvae going after these bugs on my car. The ladybug larvae are banded orange and black, 1/4 to 1/2 inch long lobster looking things - go ladybugs!.

I thought the sap was coming from the tree, but thanks to this board I now realize that it's from these aphids. I will still remove the tree since I have no way of controlling this problem. I have two cars affected by the tree/aphids and it's a constant battle to keep the cars clean during the several weeks of infestation in August. Also, the tree's leaves turn brown and black and drop off during this time, creating another sticky mess that ends up being tracked into the house. (The other problem with the hackberry, which happens at a different time of the year, is the birds eating the berries and leaving their droppings all over the cars - so I'm getting a double whammy!)

If anyone knows how to control this aphid problem, please post a message.

Thanks.

13. I'm from Iowa, and the fuzzy white bugs we have here are a little different than the wolly aphids you guys are talking about... they're white, they look just like snowflakes, and it's difficult to see their bodies beneath all the fluff. They have bluish eyes and clear white wings. It looks sort of like this one: http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/image/5152926

14. bugggg

bugggg Member

Re: Tiny white fuzzy bugs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm from Iowa, and the fuzzy white bugs we have here are a little different than the wolly aphids you guys are talking about... they're white, they look just like snowflakes, and it's difficult to see their bodies beneath all the fluff. They have bluish eyes and clear white wings. It looks sort of like this one: http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/image/5152926

I AM FROM IL AND I SAW THIS BUG LAST SUMMER.. THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE THE BUG I SAW.. VERY CUTE AND I I HAVENT SEEN ANOTHER SINCE. REAL SMALL LOOKED LIKE A FUZZY FLOATING AROUND.. AND I CAPTURED IT IN MY HANDS FOR AWHILE AND LET IT GO AND CAPTURED IT A FEW MORE TIMES.. IT NEVER BIT ME OR EVEN LOOKED LIKE IT WOULD OR COULD BITE ME.. COOLEST CUTEST LITTLE GUY :-)

15. beeker89

beeker89 Member

16. gypsyheart

gypsyheart Member

Hi, Pennsylvania here. We just got them up here now. Tiny fuzzy white rear ends, bluish front end, clear wings, not on any particular tree, just flying around. We've never seen these things up here until this year. They're not on our veggie plants and they look quite like the pictures, so we're still trying to figure this out. As fast as they're moving north, wonder if they originated in South America.

17. sheshechic

sheshechic Member

They just arrived here in Suffolk, VA. They are not swarming or anything but they seem to be reproducing quickly.

18. marcieo

marcieo Member

Hi- I am new here and to gardening. I recently planted a 500 sq ft mainly perennial garden ! I cannot find what bug I have now though!!! I will get pics but it is in what looks like pure white fuzz mainly on my vines. When you touch the white stuff the bugs jump. They are oval and pure white but do not seem to have wings. They leave this white stuff behind. They are on 2 of my clematis and my trumpet vine. Ihave to get a battery for my camera and will get a pic. I am in Baltimore, Maryland- any ideas??!?!? Thanks!!!

P.S. I have read an hours worth of bug threads here and have not seen an answer yet - although slight possibility on wooly aphids.

19. sheshechic

sheshechic Member

You may want to google scale and/or mealy bugs. Most likely mealy bug. If google use the image option and you will get lots of pics.

20. marcieo

marcieo Member

it looks like a mealworm pupa. Would they live on a plant , jump far, and produce a white fuzz stuff on the plant. They are also mainly on a trumpet vine and clematis'.

Oh it has 2 tiny dark spots on it's back also . It is definitly not a mealy bug- no legs all around. Looks simialr to a lady bug larvae- but not dark.

21. Tina Breland

Tina Breland Member

Re: I will get some pictures taken...

I have them too, Vanessa. I'm also in Texas. They are annual on only ONE tree in my yard. It's a huge hackberry tree. These bugs actually bite. It's a tiny, tiny fuzzy white thing. I sprayed the tree yesterday evening with dishwashing detergent hoping that might deter them. I'm clueless. They eat the leaves and cause it to "dirp" this black crap the is all over my patio! I need help also.

22. sheshechic

sheshechic Member

That is the tree they love the most!

23. Lion lady

Lion lady Member

Here is 2007 and we have those little white bugs and white sap falling out of our soft maple tree. How do you get rid of them. We have several soft maples in our yard and they are very big trees they have been around for more than 50 years. You can't sit in the yard with out that white stuff dripping on you and getting all over the place.

Sharon

24. mels7777

mels7777 Member

I have these same bugs, and I am glad I could find out some info. on here. They didn't seem like bugs at first, but today I noticed quite a few with wings. At first they just floated around in the air and land on things and die, not they are flying. They get stuck in our window screens, on our outdoor carpeting on the front porch, and the sap drips all over the place. They are getting stuck on our lettuce in our garden too. It's giving me the creeps and I hope someone could tell me how to get rid of it. There are so many of them. We live in PA.
    www.whatsthatbug.com

25. jaysun_son91

jaysun_son91 Member

Hey Vanessa I have the same problem. I live in Corpus Christi, TX and these little bugs have been coming out this time each year for about 3 years. At first I didn't know what they were until I got a closer look to see that they were moving. I don't know what they are called but I would also like to know. They are everywhere. On the car, in the tree, and on the ground. They are a real annoyance. They kill all of the leaves on our tree and they always get in my dogs dish outside so I constantly have to rinse it out.