Wildflowers: Woody Plant Colombia

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Pitter, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Pitter

Pitter Active Member 10 Years

Any ideas what this Colombian woody plant might be? Leaves and flowers were about two meters off the ground and the leaves themselves were very large, appoximately 60cm long.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Passiflora?

3. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

I asked a Flickr contact to have a look at your pictures; his Flickr name is English_Passiflorist and as you might guess he is a pasisionate student of Passifloras.

Pasted herewith his response . . .

Given the length of the leaves I would say it is P. macrophylla.

There are 4 very similar and closely related species:

arborea (Colombia) ; lindeniana (Venezuela); tica (Costa Rica) and macrophylla (ecuador).

John Ocampo the expert on Colombian species lists all four as occuring in Colombia: (thanks John!)

passifloracolombia.awardspace.co.uk/lista/

To me the flower suggests putumayensis but the height of the plant and length of leaves favour macrophylla. The problem of analysing species in this sub-genus Astrophea is the lack of valid & accurate photos for diagnostic purposes. My second guess is arborea but I don't have a good photo for comparison.

Here are a few images which may help but will probably confuse (I have the advantage of also being able to refer to "Passionflowers of the World" by Ulmer & MacDougal. )

www.flickr.com/photos/maracuja_rama/galleries/72157625402790304/

4. Pitter

Pitter Active Member 10 Years

Tony thank you very much for the very thorough information. I will just add that the photos were taken at 2100m on the eastern slope of the western cordillera. I will probobly have to content myself with "Passiflora species". I went back and measured the largest leaf. It was 57cm long.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012