Grape Vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Sharon S, May 7, 2005.

1. Sharon S

Sharon S Member

Grape Vines :reply update

Found this site on websearch for transplanting mature Grape Vines. I live in Northern California. I Believe they are Table grapes. After reading throught the postings I'm looking for some advice. I would like to know about possible transplanting very old (20+ years) grape vines or would I be more successfull with what I read about here in this forum is called "layering"? Wondering about timing and prep to transplant, or since summer is almost here, try "layering"? Tips?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

You can definitely transplant, but not now. Your best option at this time of year is probably layering, either conventional (into a pot or the ground) or air layering. You may also wish to try rooting green cuttings, but right now is early for that (they are too green this early in the season).
    If you do wait till the next dormant season and go for a transplant, you will want to do a vinyard style (brutal) pruning as well. Even with serious earth moving equipment you will only be taking a small fraction of the root system, so don't expect (or allow) much production in the first season, and not much more in the second. Let the vine spend it's energy establishing itself.
    Ralph

3. Sharon S

Sharon S Member

Re: Grape Vines /update: beginner's success

Thanks to Ralph and others for tips back in May. I'm Happy to report I have "Layered" six pots of new grape plant starts from the old vines on property that had belonged to my (deceased) father. I cut the vines loose from the main plants yesterday (09/01/05) and can see roots growing out of the bottom of the pots! I think they are viable for the fall and winter and will look to plant in my yard next Spring. The tips in Sunset's western Gardner on layering and progression of planting new Grape vines have also been helpful. -Sharon S

4. RobertStokes

RobertStokes Member

Hello Sharon

My name is Bob Stokes. I live in San Antonio, Texas and I have tried eveything imagineable to transplant grape vines. I am batting zero. Help, can you tell me what layering is and any other practical way to transplant grape vines.!!!!

5. Sharon S

Sharon S Member

Re: Grape Vines to Robert

Hi Bob,
    "Layering" is described well and with illustrations in the "Sunset" New Western Garden Book. Most bookstores probably keep it in stock if you haven't used it before. Layering is a method to start new plants from existing ones. The book describes "bending a low growing branch about pencil size or smaller to the ground" to stimulate root growth for a new plant. Here's a brief description. I used 5 gal. nursery pots with soil instead of the ground and had platforms under them to raise them closer to the rest of the vines. After notching a cut into the outside (woody part) of a grape vine, not more then halfway through the vine, then I bent it into a pot partly filled with soil. I chose long vines from last year's overgrowth that were strong but not brittle. I wasn't able to get a "pebble" to stay in the notch, like the book recommends. Then Cover that vine part with more soil (over the cut) and weigh the soil down with a rock or a brick to keep it anchored in the soil. Then I secured the vine from the mother plant to the side of the pot with a large cotter pin. You need to keep the soil moist just like for any new cutting. I started them around May 7th and cut them from the main plants with new roots a couple days ago. The book mentions "a few months to a year" for root growth. I'll keep them in the pots for more root growth through the winter before I plant them. I'm going to give them some more B-1 to aid new root growth in the pots now that they are on their own. I also wrapped the pots in insulation to retain moisture since I don't live where they were growing and couldn't check moisture every day. Hope this is helpful to you for this time of year, "Ralph" may know more about that. Good Luck To You.- Sharon

6. Ralph Walton

Bob: Can I assume that your intent is to "propagate" as opposed to transplant the vines? If it's transplanting, check back threads in this forum for comments on digging and relocating vines.
    If you want to make new vines from your existing ones, that's propagating, and the most common way with grapes is by dormant cuttings (excepting Muscadine grapes). this link: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html
    Cuttings
    is one of the best explanations I've seen. If you are already doing this, all I can suggest is that you persist, varying the rooting environment if you can (more/less bottom heat, top heat, misting etc.). Some varieties require different conditions; my Segerrebe and Interlaken this year were about 10 - 20%, some Pinot Noirs were 40% other (clones) were 100%. One of my 5BB clones was uniformly very slow to show, but eventually got to 100%; a few seemingly random cuttings showed no top growth, but on tipping the pots over (I was on the verge of tossing them) revealed strong root growth.
    I've had little success with "shortcuts": some ready made gel+rooting hormone packs for green cuttings are at 1 rooting for 24 starts. If you have indoor growing space you can still try the green cutting route.

Good luck, Ralph

7. lallie

lallie Member

hi , i am new to this so not sure if i am posting my question in the right place? i am looking to move a mature (6yrold) grape (valient variety) and am thinking that i should root prune this fall to encourage new roots closer to the centre for digging up the grape in spring. i thought i would prune the top growth in spring just before the move. any input on this would be appreciated. i live in canada zone 3... lallie

8. Ralph Walton

Root prune it right now and irrigate and watch for wilting; prune as necessary. Prune hard when dormant, then transplant in the spring (but while still dormant). The idea is to promote root branching within the area that will become the root ball.

Ralph