Blue Atlas Cedar Problem

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Eric La Fountaine, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I planted a weeping blue atlas cedar tree about three months ago. I'm in zone 6 and the tree isn't doing well. Mostly all of the needles have fallen off. My watering schedule is every day in the summer and every other day thus far in September. Any remedies to try to help it through a rough time. I bought it from a reputable nursery. I can't figure out what's wrong.

Nick

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Several possibilities - there's not enough information here to diagnose the problem.

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I'd suggest stop watering and let it shut down naturally for the winter. See what buds out next spring, or not, and deal with it then. I had one (which we unfortunately abused heavily - mea culpa) which looked ready for the burn pile, but I didn't have time for that either, and now - two years later - it looks great, front and center in our garden. Sometimes our plants succeed despite us.

Ralph

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I would wonder about every day watering as well...that works in hot weather in container nurseries that grow in pure bark, but I can't think of many plants in my garden that would survive it.

Watering new trees is a balancing act, since the rootball is restricted and new roots need to venture out beyond it, but in the meantime the tree has to get all its water from that comparatively small area of root/soil. Made worse by the tendency for the rootball to dry out and stay dry even when the surrounding soil is well watered. I would poke around in the rootball area and see if it's reasonably moist...then just water enough to keep it that way.

Another thread had mentioned mites being a possible pest, causing needle yellowing/dropping. Look back thru old threads for more info.