kiwi

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Neda, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Neda

Neda Member

Hi, after seeing the flower of the kiwi I think that we have 2 female vine, however except for one hard fruit last year, there has been nothing for the last 7 years. Do we still need male and do you know where I can order it from, how long will it take to give fruit after the male is planted. I am in the suburb of NY but have not been able to find the male out here.
    Thank you
    Neda

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Yes, you will need the male plant for your plants pollinating needs. I am certain the big box stores and your local nursery will carry them. I had both (sexes)plants, and it took 9 years for mine to set fruit... It should take much less than that. Be sure the plants location is the sunniest and warmest for the vine. The male plant is extremely vigorous and can grow over 9 metres a year, and 6x6 sturdy posts for a pergola is also recommended.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

What species of kiwi fruit are you growing?. Do you know the name of the kiwi fruit.
    There are 3 common species grown Actinidia Arguta , Actinidia kolmikta and Actinidia
    deliciosa. The first two plant species are hardier than the last. I would suspect that you may have one of these two species. There are lots of US sources for kiwifruit.

Have a look at this website

http://www.geocities.com/kiwibobg/kiwifruitsalad.html

It will help you out with most the info you need on kiwifruit.

Cheers

Kim