Trouble or not with my pinot noir grape vines?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by AIN SOF, Jan 30, 2004.

1. AIN SOF

AIN SOF Member

I have 2 potted pinot noir grape vines.
    They were from cuttings from a vinyard in Ontario and are now almost 2 years old.
    I live in the province of Quebec and because of this, since the winters are too cold, i bring them in and winterize them.
    Last winter everything went well, but i moved this summer to a new location and i guess where i stored them wasn't cool enough, 'cause they started sprouting new shoots like mad.
    On seeing this i brought them out into my kitchen, which is extremely sunny (just one tiny step down from a sun room), put them in the sunniest spot and added a few grow lights to boost the short winter days.
    Now this is not my problem, they are actualy growing extremely well.
    All this is mostly background to describe the conditions.

I actualy don't even know if there truly is a problem.
    Along the branches of new growth there are all these little round transparent balls/bubbles of what seems to be a gelatinous substance. (sorry i have no pictures to show).
    They are easely brushed off and are easely squeezed between fingers.
    Kind of like small tapioca balls but even more transparent then that.
    They are bout the size of the writing tip of a medium bic pen.
    I have looked at them through a microscope and i don't believe that they are the eggs of any insect (but i could be wrong).

I was thinking more a fungi of some sort in dormant form, but i truly do not know.
    Both plants have had bouts of different types of mildew, although i thought i had gotten rid of it.
    Due to electric heating my apartment is very dry, even with a humidifier running so maybe this factors comes into play somehow.

As I have said they are growing well and seem to be very healthy.
    But not knowing what these things are,I have no clue if I should be worried or not mixed with just plain good old curiosity.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are the little balls colourless or do they have some colour? Any chance of a photograph (of either the plant or what you see under the microscope)?

3. AIN SOF

AIN SOF Member

They are colorless, they do seem to dry up and at that point they take on a milky color and then turn brownish.

I will try to borrow a friends digicam but can't promise i will be able to.

4. It may be botrytis. It's common to grapevine.

5. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. litotes

litotes Member

I know that a few years have passed since this post was started, but I too have small transparent spheres on my grapevines. I do not believe them to be the eggs of the grape leaffolder as I have read that its eggs are of a different shape.

Anyone managed to identify the culprit?

7. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

8. litotes

litotes Member

Thanks very much. I'll sleep better at night knowing they are sap balls.