Need name of this flower/plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by hgsmom, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hgsmom

hgsmom Member

This flower was photographed in Belize last month. Can anyone identify it for me? I need the common name and the Latin name, please. It grew on a fairly large plant, but since the plant was among lots of other plants, I couldn't get a good image of just its plant.

The individual flowers were on a stalk that grew out either horizontally or vertically, with about 10-15 flowers per stalk. They are white with pink tips. When opened, the inside is brilliant red and yellow.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like shell ginger, Alpinia zerumbet. Someone from the tropics will know for sure.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ditto, Alpinia zerumbet from the Texas Tropics.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Absolutely Alpinia zerumbet from the Ecuadorian tropics; the Spanish common name is Jengibre de Concha. All parts of the plant are edible, particularly those pretty flowers which are quite nice in salads.

It was featured in 2007 as a Botany Photo of the Day. (My own photo, no less!)

5. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Gorgeous. Thanks for posting it. I couldn't bear to eat it until it was too dry to taste any good.

6. hgsmom

hgsmom Member

Thank you all so much. My apologies for delaying getting back to you. Lost my password!

7. Maximo Dalmau

Maximo Dalmau Member

Re: Need name of this flower/plant = Alpinia zerumbet

Here, A photo taken when I was in Peru 3 years ago. We were at 800 meters/2,400 feet over sea level, and 30 Km/18,8 miles from the coastline. The herb was some 3-4m/9-12ft tall and the inflorescence some 0.4 m/1.2 ft lenght. In this photo you will see the entire inflorescence shape, which will complete the images posted on this thread. Enjoy!

Photo was taken with a Sony Alpha DSLR Camera using a 4.5-5.6/75-300 Sony lenses, 1.5m/4.9ft MACRO.

https://twitter.com/MaximoDalmau/status/267528871530868736