Tall leggy salad green?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Oct 31, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The walking group passed this today in front of a house near 27th and Main. It looks like a salad green, or some sort of brassica?

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Many of the lettuces will do that if you only harvest the basal leaves, let them keep going, and don't have a single hot snap in the growing season. You have to harvest them pretty much daily, though. My personal record with an oakleaf lettuce like the one in the photo is 6 months and 5 feet of stem.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

As you were out with a walking group, I really wanted this to be the novel Walking Stick Kale (AKA Jersey Kale), but the leaves indicate that Lorax has it right.

4. wcutler

Thanks lorax. Too bad about the missed opportunity, woodschmoe, but you did manage to get that into the posting, and I've learned about two interesting plants for the price of one.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I would knock on the door and ask, but, if I had to make a guess, I would say Chinese stem lettuce, though the leaves, again, don't look completely right.

6. wcutler

I did ask a neighbour, thinking it was his plot. He never thought to ask what it was. Once lorax put me on to lettuce, I did look up Chinese stem lettuce, for which I only found photos cut and on display in a market. I also thought the leaves weren't right and the stems seemed different.

7. Sundrop

The stems of the ready to harvest plants may look a little different when compared to the overgrown ones. As for the leaves, there can be different varieties of the stem lettuce?

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

9. wcutler

Saltcedar's link goes to a page for Shungiku, Broadleaf (really, as a noun), common name Garland Chrysanthemum, botanical name Chrysanthemum coronarium. This has itself a new name, Glebionis coronaria (changed sex in the renaming). The leaves in the calflora page for this don't seem shapely enough. We're still in Asteraceae anyway. I had no idea lettuce was in that family.

I was happy enough to call it an oak leaf lettuce, particularly since lorax says she's been eating stuff that looks like it and grows like it, but she did say many of the lettuces will do that, so it is interesting to read about what those might include.

10. Sundrop

I harvest my lettuce by picking the bottom leaves but none of the lettuces I have grown developed this kind of growth habit. But, where I live the summer and hot temperatures come quickly after only a very short time of a spring-like weather. So, may be because of that.

It would be interesting to see a picture of lorax's lettuce, could you post one?

11. lorax

I'm not currently growing lettuces, Sundrop (it's summer, and that makes the leafy greens an exercise in futility - it goes over 30 C daily right now), and I never thought to take photos of the ones I was harvesting last winter. I will next winter, though!

12. Sundrop

Thanks lorax, looking forward to it.

13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Does this method of growing lettuce inhibit flowering in some way? I would love to try it but I fear mine would flower before they got to 2 feet tall, let alone 5 feet.

It would keep the slugs away from the leaves, it would be worth doing for that alone.

14. lorax

Try it anyway, Maf. If you get a good, steady spring and summer without many heat spikes, they'll keep going for a goodly long while before they bolt.

15. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, I will give it a go. I have some oak leaf type seeds. What other varieties or types of lettuce does it work with? Forellenschluss would look amazing grown this way but it is more of a cos/romaine type

16. lorax

Any loose-headed leaf lettuce seems to work; I've done it with Red Oaktag and that's just spectacular.

17. wcutler

I'm sorry I didn't remember all the questions I wanted to ask the owner, whom I caught today pulling out all these plants. She doesn't really know the name, but used the word "lettuce" and said they were Chinese. Her friend gets seeds from Taiwan and gives her the young plants in March or April, at which point they do not have stalks. She cooks the leaves, does not use the stalks.

So Chinese stem lettuce sounds like an apt description for these ones, whether or not it's the exact common name.

We know someone in Taiwan right now whom we could ask to bring us some seeds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  18. Sundrop

Chinese stem Lettuce is more like a description. The common name is Celtuce, scientific Lactuca sativa.

19. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lactuca sativa is just the botanical name for lettuce, each particular garden type would have additional words used to indicate which they were.

20. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Interesting that the gardener does not eat the stalks. It would seem that the stalks are part of the reason for growing this, assuming we are talking about the right plant--and I think we are.

Celtuce - Lactuca sativa var. asparagina
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv044

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtuce

I would bet the seed is available locally.