Washington: Russian Olives on Whidbey Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by horacenorris, Sep 21, 2010.

1. horacenorris

horacenorris Member

My neighbor is trying to get me to pull up my Russian Olive trees he thinks they are "messy" he has no complaints of invasive plants just doesn't like the leaf mess. Now he is trying to tell me they will tear up his driveway with the roots. They are about 3-5 feet from his drive way and 1 ft from mine. There is no visible damage to either side. I think it's just another ploy to get me to rip them out. I LOVE the look and smell of the plant and really don't want to do it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seems to me if the shrubs are on your property and not causing actual physical damage to the neighbors drive, the choice of what to grow or remove is yours. However, if the major complaint is mess, perhaps you could make extra effort to keep the area around the plants clean--including the neighbor's drive, assuming they are OK with you stepping onto their property to do so.

3. treb001

treb001 Active Member

Keep the bush well trimmed and you should have no problems. The fruit is great. If you dont use the fruit it will attarct a lot of birds. The plant though is invasives and must be watched.