Outdoor planting in december?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by danthebotanist, Sep 18, 2010.

1. danthebotanist

danthebotanist Member

Hi,

I have a bunch of small herbs (rosemarry and sage mostly) growing in my garden that I made from cuttings last season which I am hoping to replant throughout my garden. The issue is that I'm away for the fall and spring, so the only time I can do it is either this December or else wait until July.

I know that freezing can damage exposed roots etc, but if I am careful to dig up the plants without exposing their roots and transplant them immediately into their new locations (and be sure to do it when the temp is above zero) will it work, or will I just be killing them? (I'm in Victoria, BC.)

I would really prefer not to wait until July because they wont have the space to grow nicely during the spring.

thanks,

dan

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The sage will probably work because it is very hardy. The rosemary might have difficulties, but it will depend on the weather. With La Nina conditions forecast for this winter, it might get really cold, as it did 2 winters ago. You might get lucky with the rosemary, especially if it is in a well sheltered location.

3. danthebotanist

danthebotanist Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Perhaps I will leave the rosemary alone then.

On a different winter gardening note. Do you think its possible to do some stem cutting propagation during winter if I put little tents over them to protect them from the weather, or will all the stems be too dormant. I've never tried doing the hardwood and burying method, but perhaps I will try it.

4. Leland

Leland Member

On the subject of possible late planting: A couple December's ago I planted 4 very pot-bound cedar hedges on Dec. 13 in a relatively sheltered location (east side). There had been no hard frost yet at that time. However, it snowed that night and that was the winter when we (Victoria) had snow and freezing temperatures for a month straight after that. They survived with no apparent problem. Funny enough, the established escallonias along that same hedgerow either died or died to or near the ground.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Regarding stem propagation during the winter, I tried it last winter with more than a dozen cherry cuttings. Not one of these rooted. I don't remember exactly when I started the cuttings, but it was December or later.