Blue Star Creeper - invasive?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by TeresaL, Sep 19, 2010.

1. TeresaL

TeresaL Member

I just put in 4 little pots of blue star creeper....looking for an evergreen, low ground cover. Now (cart before the horse, I know) I have read a bit on line which seems to indicate that it can be terribly invasive. Does anyone have any experience in the lower mainland? Should I take them out now?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It creeps, if you keep it watered. Some people think anything that grows sideways is "terribly invasive". Put it in the right location and there should not be an issue with its normal expansion. It could probably even be used as a carpet for small spring bulbs to come up through.

3. wellil

wellil Member

I am not an expert gardener, but I do have personal experience with blue star creeper in my small Seattle garden. If I were you I would RIP IT OUT RIGHT NOW! I am in a constant battle with BS Creep. I planted just a few small pieces 3 years ago and it's now a total nightmare. The roots form a serious mat that is very hard to deal with. Mine gets good sun and good water, so it's (unfortunately) very happy. With that said, if I ever have a huge garden with space for something to totally take over a corner, I would consider planting it there because it is really lovely when it's blooming.