Is my ROYAL POINCIANA tree dying?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by The Scared Gardener, May 9, 2007.

1. The Scared Gardener

The Scared Gardener Member

Hello all. I'm new and I live in SE Florida. I have a beautiful Royal Poinciana tree in my backyard that has been acting strange since Hurricane Wilma (Oct. '05). After the storm she lost all of her leaves and flowers and they didn't come back until the following summer. The canopy did grow back and she did flower but come winter she shed everything but the branches. This has happened every winter since the storm. The tree looks dead all winter long and starts to sprout in the spring but doesn't completely fill-out until the middle of summer. Other poinciana trees around town don't lose their vibrant green leaves in the winter months - what's wrong with my tree? Should I be fertilizing? If so, how and with what? I prefer to use a natural fertilizer as we are making an aggressive attempt to go completely "green" in our home. Can anyone help?

2. hammond

hammond Member

Hi, The same exact thing happened to one of mine, my favorite one. The other two are ok, but I think they are differant species as they were never as full as the problem one. Did you figure out what to do? Mine was so full thet it was shading most of my driveway and since Wilma is very feeble. I have tried fertilizer without results.
    Thanks, Hammond

3. The Scared Gardener

My poinciana started to sprout new leaves about two-three weeks ago and began flowering over the weekend. we have no explanation or solution so I think our next step is to call a tree expert. Don't know what else to do.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Do you water it in the winter? Royal Poinciana is naturally deciduous in climates with an obvious dry season (ie. South Florida). It could be that your neighbours are irrigating their lawns and gardens, thus tricking the tree into thinking there is no dry season. If you have a 'droughty' spring, it would delay leaf out until sufficient, consistent moisture is available.

5. The Scared Gardener

Thanks for the tip. Our spring has been very dry. In fact, we're on a severe water restriction as we haven't had any significant rainfall since Feb. But this has happened every year since Hurricane Wilma ('05) despite normal and above normal rainfall amounts. I wish I could water the tree to trick it into thinking it's being rained upon but I will get a $100 fine if I'm caught....yikes!

6. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

this is a older post but i am midstate west coast of florida and most all of them loose there leaves in the winter time here. even the few i had potted up still loose there leaves in the winter and its in the whole area just a few here and there that hold there leaves