Magnolia virginiana

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Canadensis, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Canadensis

Canadensis Member

Re: "Magnolia virginiana"

Is there an evergreen M. virginiana at UBC?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi, no - not yet...

Magnolias at UBC

However, our new Carolinian Forest garden will contain some in the near future, if I recall correctly from the plans.

3. Canadensis

Canadensis Member

Is there one you can think of in Vancouver? VanDusen?

Thanks,
    Brad

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Canadensis

Canadensis Member

Great link! Thanks. I don't see any way to check where it is located in the garden, do you know of an online tool for that?
    Also; is there a way to find out the species of a tree on campus by using the info on the little nailed-in round metal tags?
    Thanks again.

6. Daniel Mosquin

No, neither Van Dusen nor UBC have online maps yet. Maybe one of the other locals will know precisely where the plant is - otherwise, you might have to enquire at the gate.

Re: campus plantings - there is a small booklet put out by Land and Building Services called "A Self-Guide to UBC Campus Trees" published sometime in the last couple years. Hard to track down, and I think of limited publication. I'd enquire with them first (the names listed on the publication are John Metras, David Smith, Collin Varner, Grazyna Rougeau and Jeff Nulty).