Beat This If You Can

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by jacksparrow, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Active Member

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Active Member

Link to story fixed, thx Eric

4. LabTea

LabTea Active Member

Too bad you couldn't get Amaranthus caudatus (Love-Lies-Bleeding) to grow to this height. The Amaranthus australis has been know to grow up to 27ft in the southern US wilderness but in Southern Ontario its unheard of! 23ft in one season! Wow!

5. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

amaranthus "Hot Buscuits" made a great show here this past summer: 4-5 feet. Now the question is, will it self seed?

Les

6. sunflower info

sunflower info Member

I've been able to get my Amaranthus australis to grow to 21 feet tall in New Jersey direct sown in the garden in the spring.

If you want to get them really big then you have to start them indoors. I probably should have started them already. I'm going to start mine this week sometime.

I've used the Amaranthus australis to cross with other amaranths. I produced these 18-19 feet tall amaranths that have red flowers, but still have a A. australis look to them.

I've also been able to get Amaranthus cannabinus (tidal marsh amaranth) to enormous size. I had one that self-sown in my garden this year that grew to 18 feet tall, 16 feet wide, with a 15 inch stem circumference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009