Evaporative/Swamp Cooler for Plant Room

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From what I've read this type of cooler is most effective in areas with low relative humidity. In general, is it suitable for the Vancouver area? The official readings at the airport are quite high but then it's right next to the ocean.

My indoor plant room has a southern exposure which, even with the windows open, results in high heat along with low humidity from May through September. These seem like ideal conditions for an evaporative cooler. Not only will it increase the humidity but at the same time reduce the heat in the room. Has anyone (hopefully in Vancouver) used it with success under similar conditions?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The indoor hydroponic industry would likely have some of this type of unit. varying scale and such but there might be some info to be gleaned. In Vancouver try Jons plant factory.

3. Junglekeeper

Hi, Paul. Following your suggestion I phoned up a number of hydroponics stores, including Jon's. The units they sell, if they sell them at all, are heavy duty and too costly for my budget. However Canadian Tire sells one that's more in line with what I'm thinking of. The price is such that it may be worth a try. In theory it should work in my microenvironment.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

groovy

5. pkant

pkant Member

Hi, I haven't been able to find anthing like that in Canada, at least not in Ontario. What is the unit that Canadian Tire sells?
    best regards,
    Peter Kantardziski
    Toronto

6. Junglekeeper

Hi, Peter. Go to the Canadian Tire website and search for the brand Convair. The unit is marketed under several names including 3-in-1, ClimateWizard, and ClimateStar.

7. pkant

pkant Member

Thank you very much, that was really helpful.
    Rgds
    Peter