Aloe Trouble

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by wulfgar87, Mar 11, 2007.

1. wulfgar87

wulfgar87 Active Member

I've had an aloe plant for a few weeks now and its stalk is turning brown.

here's a pic from when i tried to ID it

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=23093

Basically where that white spot is on the stem is where it's turning brown.

I've watered it twice since i've had it along with my crassula (which is doing fine) and i put them both in direct sun in the evening. The fact that its in a really small pot might have something to do with it.

So im not sure if im over or under watering or if its getting too much or not enough sun.

every time i try to look up aloe care i get a bunch of sites trying to sell me aloe vera lotions and creams or whatever....

2. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

How long have you had the plant? I'd be suspicious of overwatering. How do the leaves below that spot look? Being a plant that likes it dry i'd hold off on watering for a while and see what happens. Usually better off to underwater than overwater in my opinion, especially given the type of plant it is.

3. wulfgar87

wulfgar87 Active Member

I've had it for about 3 weeks and watered it twice.

Once when i first got it and again a week later

So far the browning is only on the stem and the leaves look fine.

I've left it alone since then as i was leaning towards overwatering myself but wasnt sure of the amount of sun it should get.

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

wulfgar87: It almost looks as though your potting soil is a peat variety. Peat is, in my opinion, a little acid and probably capable of retaining to much water for an aloe. I would, for my personal preference, use 60% sharp builders sand and 40% peat mixed well. A once per week drenching with complete draining (no 'catch' saucer) would do for starters. It will not harm the plant to allow it to become VERY dry between waterings. It will benefit the plant to go a couple of sizes larger on the pot right away.

5. wulfgar87

wulfgar87 Active Member

Grrrrr i hate plants that thrive on neglect i just cant not take care of my plants.

I repotted the Aloe and Crassula both into the same 5" pot and gave them both a small drink. We've had a warm spell here of 80ish degrees so i've been putting them out on a ledge in direct sunlight in the evenings. The Crassula is thriving while the Aloe continues to turn brown and now the leaves have grown pale and have started to fold in on themselves lengthwise.

So what part of the perfect growing conditions for a Crassula perforata would kill an Aloe?

6. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

If that rascal has been inside for any length of time, the problem could well be 'sunburn'. You spend the winter inside, the first warm day you spend the day outside without a shirt, and voila, you are sunburned.!. Plants will do the same. They need short exposure to begin with, and progressively longer exposure over time. Don't rush it. Even an outside plant, grown in shade, moved to bright, full sun will burn.