Identification: Plant Identification - spade shaped leaves with natural holes in the leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mcmlego88, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mcmlego88

mcmlego88 Member

Plant Identification Please Help-spade shaped leaves with natural holes in the leaves

I recieved this plant from my mother as a little sprout and now its grown to about 6" tall. I have never seen a plant with holes in the leaves before. It looks absolutely amazing. I was wondering if any of you could identify the plant for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This is another plant, possibly Monstera adansonii.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it is a Swiss Cheese plant .. they like morning sun and dont like drafts or big temperature changes .. and they r easy to root .. i have one and i really like it .. they r so lacey and delicate looking .. i have mine in a 12 inch pot .. it is a big one .. they also like growing up on steaks or they get long and stragely .. and the leaves stay small ..

Marn

5. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

I'm pretty certain that your plant is a Monstera friedrichstahlii, commonly called a swiss cheese plant.

6. evanmanalang

evanmanalang Member

Re: Plant Identification Please Help-spade shaped leaves with natural holes in the le

I don't think its a swiss cheese. I have had that plant several years back and for so long a time, the leaves never grew bigger. The natural holes the leaves have are very much different from those of the swiss cheese. Observe that the natural holes are just within the leaves. I am looking for the same specie and i will try to ask plant shops here for the name.

7. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

I agree that it's Monstera obliqua or M. adansonii. (The Plant List says M. friedrichstahlii is a synonym of M. adansonii.) As far as I know, they're all called "swiss cheese plant" or "swiss cheese philodendron," as is M. deliciosa, despite being different species.

8. evanmanalang

evanmanalang Member

I really think it is the monstera obliqua. I hope the plant really gets it identity. In my search for the name of this plant i found out that people are still confused about its characteristics . Most often, people connect its characteristics to be the same or the younger stage of development of the swiss cheese. I have had this plant years back and i tell you, the leaves won't grow to be the deliciosa kind! Leaves of the obliqua can grow just up to 6 diameters and it can be put and hanged as other hanging plants. It is also called the window-leaf monstera. I am still searching and i want that someday, this plant gets its true identity. It is also classed as an exotic plant and therefore should be studied more. I read also that the fruit is edible and tastes like banana.