Lime Tree Losing Leaves

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by bishro, Feb 18, 2007.

1. bishro

bishro Member

I've had a lime tree in my apartment for two and a half years. Since I live in NH, I keep it indoors during the cold weather, and move it outdoors for the summer. The first winter I had it, a lot of leaves were lost throughout the winter, and last winter, hardly any fell. This winter, up until yesterday, it was losing a few leaves a week. Yesterday, though, it lost over two-thirds of its leaves in just a few hours.

Earlier this week, we removed the only lime we had ever gotten from the tree since it was given to me. Obviously, since that's the only thing I know of that's happened recently, I'm concerned that taking the lime caused this "fallout".

But whatever the cause, I really want to stop more from falling, at least long enough until I can get it out in the sun in 2-3 months. If anyone has ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Is the tree exposed to direct sunlight?

3. bishro

bishro Member

Not during the winter, no. I know citrus trees like direct sunlight, but that's not possible here while it's inside, and it's in the same location it has been for the past two winters.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Picking the lime had nothing to do with the winter leaf drop (WLD). What temperature is the room kept at? Is the tree in the path of warm air from a source such as a forced air heater? Have you sprayed the tree with anything? How often are you watering the tree? What is the soil temperature? How tall is the tree, and what size container is it in? Is the tree near a gas stove? How do you heat your house? - Millet

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Millet ... I bet you wish you had a buck for every time...yada yada. BTW, lots of fruit set on my Key lime and as Laaz suggested, I'll have Corona beer on hand when they ripen. I know my wife will insist on the magarita blender. haha.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

LPN, all you Vancouver guys & gals are really doing well with your citrus. I have always loved the city of Vancouver. The Colorado Avalanche is playing Vancouver on TV at this moment. I hope the Canucks remember that the Avalanche are their GUESTS in the city tonight, and are treated accordantly. Poor Colorado might not even make the playoffs, and that's AWFUL in Hockey. - Millet

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Millet ... I have the game on too (3-3 after the second) although I rarely watch much hockey these days. I guess the league seems too big and watered down compared to the old days. Multi-million dollar contracts etc ... sometimes there's more money skating around in a game than there is in some small third world countries.
    As for Vancouver as a city, nice to look at but horrible to drive around. I imagine things will get much worse with the 2010 winter Olympics on the horizon. I much prefer my quieter location here on Vanvouver Island.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)