How to distinguish between "Winter Gem" and "Japanese" Boxwood

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by AquaHolic, Oct 17, 2007.

1. AquaHolic

AquaHolic Member

Hello, I have a large span of boxwoods around my house that I would like to extend. My existing boxwoods are approx 10 years old and beautiful. I did not plan the original boxwoods so I'm not sure which ones they are but my local nursery offers two varieties, the "Winter Gem" and the "Japanese" boxwood.

Is there any way to identify my exisiting boxwoods? At the nursery both Winter Gem and Japanese look very similar but I don't want to find out I selected the wrong one 5 years from now! Thanks! :)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cut a branch from your boxwoods and take it to the nursery with you to compare. That way you will get the closest match. It is quite possible that you don't actually have either of those cultivars.

3. AquaHolic

AquaHolic Member

I actually purchased a Winter Gem and Japanese to compare and both look similar to my existing boxwoods and to each other actually! The Nursery tells me the only way they know to tell for sure is when it gets cold the Winter Gem and Japanese are different colors. Any other subtle way to tell right now while it's still relatively warm?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, sorry don't know.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

can you post a picture? it may help someone help you.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Why not just propagate the ones you have from cuttings? That way you get a certain match.