Is this mold or a very unwanted critter?!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by aeizzy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. aeizzy

aeizzy Member

Please tell me if this is mold on my poor plant. And, whatever it is, how do I get rid of it? I noticed it about 3 months ago and wiped down every leaf so there was no trace of it. It is always concentrated at the base of new leaves and begins to spread again when a new leaf comes out.

Also, should I be concerned that it is getting into the air in my apartment?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Whole Plant.jpg

Under Leaf 2.jpg

Leaf Base.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks more like 'unwanted critter', maybe woolly aphids, but hard to be certain with the small pic size.

3. aeizzy

aeizzy Member

What's the best remedy for getting rid of them?

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it looks like mealy bugs. Google mealy bugs and you'll get info on how to get rid of them. Usually involves Q-tips dipped in alcohol and lots of rubbing them off. With the amount you seem to have - a spray bottle of (some say 25% and some 50%) alcohol and the rest water. Take out side, cover the dirt in the pot with plastic so the liquid does not get into the dirt, and spray the plant freely. Then with a alcohol dampend paper towel wipe all the white fuzz off you can find. Repeat weekly. Babies are see-through and really hard to find so this proceedure must be repeated until they are all gone. Good luck!!! barb

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

definitely mealy bugs and barb is right-on with the treatment method.

since it is so bad, spraying would be quicker. use 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. spray and then use paper towels wipe the leaves down to remove them. treat weekly/10 days for a few weeks to be sure you got all the babies and eggs.

any other plants in the vicinity will also need to be looked at, and treated, if they're also infested.