Help with Annual plant identification, please.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by LadySlipper, May 18, 2007.

1. LadySlipper

LadySlipper Member

I received a beautiful Mother's Day gift from my son but I am not familiar with this annual. I hope someone may help me identify this plant so that I don't end up killing it. I called the nursery it came from, they called it "Osteospermum". However when I looked this up on the net it looks nothing like the plant sitting on my deck. Unfortunately, there was no tags on the plant or container. I am posting a picture of the plant hoping someone else may have this plant and can tell me at least the name. I greatly appreciate all your help and information.

Thank You,

LadySlipper

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dahlia.

3. LadySlipper

LadySlipper Member

Oh, wow. That was quick. Thank you so much. Now I can do some homework to keep this beauty alive. No wonder I was not familiar with this plant. I've heard of Dahlias but never taken care of one. Last years Mother's Day gift was easier, good ol' Impatients.

4. LadySlipper

LadySlipper Member

Evidently, the nursery slapped a SKU tag with "Annual" printed on it but the actual plant is not an annual? No wonder the confusion on identifying it. Seems this plant is a perenial. Again I do appreciate your help.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dwarf bedding types of dahlias are sold to be used as annuals. If your plant is a little short thing with small flowers, that's probably why they had it with the annuals - although it's not of course an osteospermum.