New leaves are wilting on my Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zoeyba, May 16, 2005.

1. zoeyba

zoeyba Member

Just moved to a property which has a Japanes Maple. I'm concerned because the new leaves look like they're wilting and there are quite a few dead branches. There was an unexpected frost following an unusually warm week in early May. As I have no experience with these beautiful trees, I'm not sure whether the leaves start off looking like this or whether this year's strange spring weather may have stressed the tree. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Japanes Maple

your tree could be suffering frost damage, but that generally looks more like burn where the leaves get crispy and dried. They initally look wilted, but within a few days they look burned. Often, if the frost damage is severe, then the leaves will soon drop off. If only part of the leaf was damaged, it can stay on the branch and the healthy part of the leaf will remain healthy. New leaves may emerge later in the season.

Normally maples will have wilty or droopy leaves as they emerge and as the leaf matures, they the leaves will look normal. I am not sure what stage your trees are at in Toronto, but by this time here, all leaves are becoming very mature.

The other thing that can happen is that a tree with Verticillim Wilt will have the moisture flow cut off from some branches. Leaves on these branches will shrivel up and dry before falling off. If this happens pretty rapidly, the branch is usually lost.

At this point, I would think you would want to wait and see if you are not certain, and in the above situations, there is not much you can do anyway.

Best regards,
    Michael

3. zoeyba

zoeyba Member

Re: Japanes Maple

Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens in the next little while.