Bright pink berries, exotic leaf..

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bijjy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

A humble shrub, something that resembles rosemary, something that may be a rhodo, something with pink fruits, and something exotic yet familiar looking...

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spiraea
    Lithodora
    Rhododendron with dieback problem, probably Phytophthora (such sad specimens are common here on our often-heavy soils)
    Malus
    Arum (I guess)

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I´d guess Arum or Zantedeschia for the aroid....

4. Ron B

First I put Zantedeschia, then I thought the leaf shape might be too extreme.

5. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Good grief, I would never have recognized spiraea without the trademark white flowers! I thought the rhodo was some sort of bonsai-ish dwarf variety, not a dieback victim. I'm doing a basic 'shake test' to test the soil sedimentation, and so far, it seems the soil is very sandy, not clay based..

6. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Anyway, good to know the rhodo probably has root rot.. I guess it should be disposed of. I think its kind of sitting close to a septic field (albeit a bit raised, on a berm), which may account for the lack of drainage, hence root rot..

7. Ron B

It is a dwarf, one of the Hobbie hybrids from Germany such as 'Scarlet Wonder'. Plant should be solid with leaves and not have a stub indicating half of the top has been lost completely. If water molds are the problem, might have come with water molds already on it when planted there. Could have a fine-textured soil rootball even though the surrounding soil is sandy.

Note also if not aware already a soil has to be more than half sand before the sand dominates its characteristics.

8. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Makes sense. The soil in the area appears to be about 85% sand, 10% silt, 5% clay, so I think the rhodo came from the retailer with rootrot, and has different soil in its rootball, like you said. The smaller particles in its rootball soil must be soaking up water from the surrounding area like a sponge.

About 75 feet away from the root rot victim lies its friend, who also looks very unhappy. It was never transplanted and looked fine in previous years. It's in an area that has better drainage, being on a slope. Any idea what hit this one?

All the other rhodos nearby are doing quite fine (apart from having some yellow leaves, which could be due to mildew, as you mentioned in another thread, or underfeeding).

Attached Files:

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree I think Arum also

Ed

10. Ron B

Looks like root rot, or maybe drought. Same result, that is the top not getting enough water. Is also planted too deep. Rhododendrons don't like this.

11. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Thank you, that's VERY helpful to know. =)