Liquid Amber problem

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by cbard6, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cbard6

cbard6 Member

We planted a liquid amber about three years ago, and still the leaves have not turned orange or red in the fall. They just remain GREEN. Does the tree lack a nutrient? Are there some varieties of liquid amber that stay green?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seedlings from some parts of wild range do this. Seattle has numbers of them on streets that remain mostly green into December, never do color up well. To get a replacement with proven good color shop local outlets now, while these are turning - or order in a named selection known to color well.

3. cbard6

cbard6 Member

Thank you for your help. The maddening thing is my son purchased it at Home Depot as a Mother's Day gift to me. I don't think Home Depot should be selling trees from seedlings from wild range. Interesting. hmmmm. We only have the one. Your idea of purchasing a replacement now is good. Thanks again.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

The use of lawn fertilizers around the tree can impair fall colour. Climate can also play a factor...areas lacking repeated cool nights (<40) in fall will also reduce fall colouring prior to leaf drop.

5. cbard6

cbard6 Member

Thank you, smivies! That should help. You mentioned "lawn" fertilizers as a problem. Do you know if other fertilizers would help, such as organic fertilizers? REgarding temp - our area definitely gets below 40 much of the winter, but I don't know if it does in the fall. Interesting point. I'll pay attention.

6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Lawn fertilizers are known for the their high nitrogen content which encourages green leafy growth and impedes dormancy in plants. Any fertilizer with nitrogen applied late in the season can have the same effect but lawn fertilizers are a common culprit as they are usually applied without a thought to the rest of the landscape. Fertilizer in general (organic or otherwise), applied late in the season is going to somewhat detrimental to fall colouring....some of the best fall colours occur on soils with low nutrient content. If you need to fertilize, do it after leaf drop in the fall or from spring to about the end of July.

7. cbard6

cbard6 Member

That makes sense. Thank you.

8. I have a liquid amber tree with a corky type bark that produces no spikey type cones, loses branches often in wind and is about 6 years old.