Tree: Unusual red seeds in chicken head shaped pods

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by frankie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. frankie

frankie Member

I am trying to find out what type of tree this is from. The pod on the opposite side of the opened one (where the red seed is opened up to) has opened and has 2 red seeds in it. The whole thing is in the shape of a chicken head. The leaves are green teardrop shaped about 5 inches long. The tree is about 25 ft tall. This picture was taken yesterday. Some of the pods in earlier stages are green (fuzzy?) cone shaped.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

hello frankie

it appears that it is a magnolia of some sort but without a pictire of the flowers and the whole tree I cannot say what type

3. frankie

frankie Member

Thank you. I had looked at magnolia's, but there weren't pictures of buds that looked like this one in the picture, but the cone sized buds I described look like magnolia buds before they flower (there were some of these on the tree). I wish I had a picture of the tree, I didn't think of that at the time, just took some samples to see if I could identify. I was told that these buds/pods will get very bright red all over the tree in a couple of weeks. I'm under the impression they will not flower, and looking at the pod now, there are a total of 3 small lima bean sized bright red seeds coming out of it. Would it have flowered already, and this is what comes after the flower? I believe it is an 'exotic' type plant, because that is the type of trees this person grows. (they are no longer available to offer help).

I will know next time to get better information to help identify plants.
    Thank you!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree that its a magnolia. the fruit is not a bud, its the seed carrying device which looks odd but recognizable. There should be flower buds present at this time of year at the tips of branches, differen in appearance to the fruit structure you have pictured above.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Magnolia kobus, M. kobus stellata (M. stellata) or the intermediate var./hybrid between them (M. kobus var. loebneri/M. x loebneri).

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Ron is right - There is row of M stellata in the grounds of my work place. Leaves and seed pods look just like those in the picture.

7. frankie

frankie Member

Thank you all very, very much! There are no flowers on the tree, only early pods (green cone shaped) and the picture above.

Again,
    Thanks!