Acer palmatum 'Tiger Rose'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

This is one of my favorites, photo taken 5/15/05

Attached Files:

2. tim hansen

tim hansen Member

Dear Grower,

I love your photos of 'Tiger Rose'. Do you have any gallons or liners available?

Thanks- Tim Hansen, maplegrower@yahoo.com

3. yweride

Tim,
    Unfortunately, I do not have any other sizes available for the Tiger Rose. The tree pictured is a 10 gal, for $89.

Your interest in such a neat and rare maple brings up an interesting point. This plant and others like it seam to be getting looked over, by our retail customers who just want a common lace-leaf or upright maple. I drives me nuts that these rare and collector specimens just sit and go unnoticed. Though we are a new nursery in the Willamette Valley and just getting established, I hope the word of our unique inventory gets out.

Be patient; I keep telling myself

Here is a link to our inventory:

http://www.gardenworldonline.com/srv/Availability

Thanks

4. yweride

5. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

yweride,

I figured that with the photos you were showing, inquires for your plants were only a matter of time. I have seen your location and have yet to stop by, but I might do so on my next trip up to Portland.

While I respect what you are doing, I am asking that you conduct your business through direct email and private messaging if necessary. I think that in doing that you will be acting in the intended spirit of the forum. Please continue to share your experiences and photos and maybe link your website in you signature, but encourage those in search of your trees to contact you outside of the forum.

All my best and good luck.
    Michael

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is the very small plant I am growing in its first full year. With some good sun and a recent repotting one can see the red fall-like color induced by the stress.

Regardless of shade or sun, the reticuation seems to be most visible in spring when it then becomes a subdued underlying character. Possibly growing in heavy shade can preserve the reticulation.

I supect with age that I will see a larger leaf on this plant, but for now, the leaves remain quite small. The cultivar seems very close to some of the recent veriegated-reticulated introductions, primarily in early spring color with with yellow hue and quite distant from Azuma murasaki, the supposed seed parent. Another similarity to recent introduction is the "rusty" color or stressed appearance of the leaf in exposure. The streesed characteristics are not seen so much with the likes of the shigitatsu sawas and thereby they would seem to make a hardier selection.

Only time will tell. At least there is some testament to how two very different environments between Eric and myself, only less than 3 hours apart, can effect the coloration of a plant.

MJH

Photo Series Dates:
    4/7/05;4/25/05;5/13/05;5/28/05;6/05/05

Attached Files:

8. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is a compilation better put excerpts from two
    other posts of mine that were originally written in
    this same thread.

I've seen other photos of this Maple that look like this
    plant but I also have read that the original plant was a
    seedling selection of 'Azuma murasaki'. Well, I've been
    around 'Azuma murasaki' for several years and I am not
    seeing that Maples characteristics in this Maple. It would
    be a whole lot better for me to know where and who this
    Maple came from and where did that source get this
    Maple. I want to be able to try to track this plant back
    to the originating source, if I can. Then I may have a
    better idea if this is the right plant for 'Tiger Rose' or
    not.

I've seen several online photos of 'Tiger Rose' so I am
    not singling you and your plant out. I like the looks of
    this Maple and the size and shape of your plant but I do
    question whether the name being bantered around both
    offline and online is the right name being applied to the
    right plant. Information gathered from elsewhere states
    that this Maple originally was a seedling of 'Azuma
    murasaki'. Where I have trouble is that 'Azuma murasaki'
    is not a reticulated Maple. So how could a seedling from
    a Maple I know well enough have the coloring of 'Tiger
    Rose' that I am seeing from your plant and from others
    photos I've seen of this Maple? I'll be quite candid this
    Maple is showing me signs of being a "Ghost" series
    plant and appears to me to be one of the better ones.

Jim

9. yweride

Photos taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

10. yweride

Leaf reticulation is caused from a virus with in the plants genotype. I don’t know if crossing an infected plant with a clean plant could have the potential to produce a plant that exhibits the reticulation.

On a side note, I was amazed with this plants hardiness as a freshly grafted and leafing out plant. One of our greenhouses heaters shut off during a below freezing spell for at least a 24 hour period. The maples in the house had just been grafted and were all leafing out in successfully. Well, to my surprise the ‘Tiger Rose’, ‘Sensu’, ‘Johin’ and ‘Shishigashira’ did just fine, while the others got toasted. I can understand why Sensu’, ‘Johin’ made it, being from the shirasawanum cross, but the ‘Tiger Rose’ really surprised me.

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Don't know if you meant this particular instance specifically but generally only a portion of plant variegations are virus related. Viruses being transferred through pollen is possible. I think only some viruses do this.

12. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hello all,

Ok, here's a question: I just got a Tiger Rose in today and it is a liner...but it shows no reticulation at all! Is it just because it's so young or just because it becomes and "underlying character" or what? Whatever the case the leaves do look like Michael's and Brad's in SHAPE but not in coloring...

I don't think that I got the wrong cultivar as it is from Eastfork Nursery--which gets their stock directly from Talon Buccholz. Maybe next spring I will get a great show of those Rose-colored leaves followed by cream-and-white coloring. In any case I am not worrying about it and do hope that it lives up to it's lofty standards.

David

Here are the pictures, taken today--July 30:

Attached Files:

13. paxi

paxi Active Member

Gosh David, I don't think it's possible to say much about a plants coloring after one midsummer day, let alone a year. As you say, give it some time to breath. I have this one one the way for fall. Good luck!

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Thanks paxi--I guess that I am just obsessing like I normally do about my maples--but next year I will watch it and see what it does...although I think that it will be fine. It is newly grafted and one cannot trust the first season of growth...let alone the first day! Thanks for the second opinion; and I'll take all the luck that I can get!

David

15. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Tiger Rose was one of half-dozen new grafts I bought last spring, and it's my favorite of the bunch. It has a really nice form, and the branches are more stout than many varieties. Mine was covered with flowers this spring, despite its small size.

Attached Files:

16. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is one of the taller tiger rose. I bought several of them this year with great shape. Many folks think they look like a tree in the ghost family but when you see them side by side their is a difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  17. amazingmaples

To show the differences, here are photos of Tiger Rose, Grandma Ghost and Sister Ghost. First Ghost ismiles apart since it has a lot of red to its leaves. You can see that the Tiger Rose and Grandma Ghost has similar leaves but are different in color. Note the new branches have a large difference in color. Sister Ghost has similar color but the leaf structure is quite a bit different. The coloring similar but different. These photos are all taken a few days apart and the trees are in similar locations.

Attached Files:

maplesmagpie likes this.
  18. amazingmaples

Here are the fall colors of 2011

Attached Files:

19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Hi Mr Shep,
    I hope you are doing well. I found some information about Tiger Rose. You may already found the answer since you posted the original question, but I will share so that it's available to anyone who may be interested.

The late Dr. Forrest Bump (from ForestGrove, Oregon) discovered this cultivar.
    "One success was the remarkable discovery of a seedling from Acer palmatum 'Azuma murasaki' that he went on to name 'Tiger Rose'. The “tiger” part was due to the stripes found on the reticulated leaves, and the “rose” part was because one early spring morning the foliage displayed a decidedly pinkish hue, and Bump's wife was named Rose"

Source: Flora Wonder Blog- The Doctors Three - 6/15/2017.
    Flora Wonder Blog: The Doctors Three

20. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 'Tiger Rose' today. It's planted in full shade.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I wonder if the name was chosen due to it's claw like leaves? The Rose part of the name is a bit of a mystery though looking at Charlie's Autumn colours.

22. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hey D. This is what Talon wrote in his blog about it.

Source: Flora Wonder Blog- The Doctors Three - 6/15/2017.
    Flora Wonder Blog: The Doctors Three

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Thanks D, so tiger stripes and a pinkish hue. Pretty obvious when you think about it. Lol.

24. Acerholic

18th May 2023 and my new Tiger Rose showing off some nice reticulation this morning.
    PXL_20230518_101755825.jpg

D97x7 likes this.
  25. Acerholic

31st October 2023 and a fairly good year for my new Tiger Rose. Some nice reticulation and colours for Autumn,
    PXL_20231031_094020663.jpg