Proper name for "wall ivy"

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by meggie, May 18, 2005.

1. meggie

meggie Member

I bought a plant which was referred to as "wall ivy" which I am going to use to cover a brick wall. I don't know what the proper botanical name of wall ivy is. Please help. Thanks.
    ps...is there a way to encourage it to spread quickly?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello meggie,

What you call "wall ivy" could be quite different to what someone else in another area might be refering to. I would probably think of Parthenocissus tricuspidata (Boston ivy) first. The most commonly grown ivy is probably Hedera helix. But in your area I would not be surprised if people called Ficus pumila "wall ivy" because of the way it clings to walls.

You might search out the above plants to see if they look like yours. There is a lot of variation in ivies though. If you can post a photo, someone may be able to make a positive ID.

As far as the quick spread, with most plants called ivy that is not a problem, but first we have to know what you have.

3. meggie

meggie Member

Thanks Eric. I have taken 2 photos. Your response got me thinking too. How DOES the ivy attach itself to the wall? roots? tendrils? whatttt?? :)

Attached Files:

4. Eric La Fountaine

I think you do have Ficus pumila, actually a fig not an ivy. This plant is used to climb on walls in tropical areas. Tendrils attach the plant with a strong adhesive. You may need to consider that. I really like the look of the plant, the way it clings to walls so closely and tightly.

Here are a couple of links to info pages on Ficus pumila so you can see if it is the right ID:
    http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Ficus_pumila.html
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/F/ficu_pum.cfm
    http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/shrubs/FICPUMA.PDF

5. meggie

meggie Member

Thanks again Eric.
    I took a look at the links, but the leaves of the fig seem a lot larger than what I have. Maybe as the plant matures,the leaves will get bigger. I also looked at the Parthenocissus tricuspidata and Hedera helix. Neither is a "bang-on" match, but I'll continue looking. You've given me some good pointers. I'm grateful. Regards.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I second the nomination.

7. Eric La Fountaine

This is a quote from the Floridata site:

"This vine covers surfaces with a tracery of fine stems that are densely covered with small heart shaped leaves that are 1 inch long by about .75 inch wide, they are held closely to the surface creating a mat of foliage that extends barely 1 inch from the surface. These are the juvenile leaves. Once the vine has reach the top of its support if will begin to form horizontal branches on which adult foliage is borne. Adult leaves are held alternately in two rows along these branches. They are more leathery than the juveniles, and are dark green, and about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide."
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/F/ficu_pum.cfm

I generally think of the leaves as being very small. I have only seen the plant a few times (in areas far south of here). I may have never seen a mature plant.

8. meggie

meggie Member

Yep, I think that's it. Thanks .I've seen a wall covered with what I thought was ivy, but it troubled me that some of the leaves looked like mine, but some were borne on horizontal woody-like branches near the top of the wall. Now I understand. I've seen another wall though where the leaves are all small, but this one is quite obviously well maintained. I can tell you..it's a beauty to behold!!..and there are no woody stems. You think that's because of constant pruning???