mottled leaves - pic included

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by aesir22, Sep 13, 2008.

1. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

howdy all

quick question about the leaves of my meyer lemon. it has dropped quite a few of them over the last week or so - which i expected due to transplant shock and all that. some of the leaves, however, look a little sick. a few are developing brown patches and a pale yellowy-green colour. i know it is natural for them to drop leaves after repotting, but is this discolouration expected also? i know the colouring may indicate a nutrient deficiency, but with it being recently repotted i don't want to fertilize right away. i have sprayed the leaves with epsom salts as normal (1/2 teaspoon per litre), and a solution of superthrive and water today (experimenting with the superthrive, want to know if its useless or fantastic!)

there is no evidence of pest. all of my citrus are in a potting mix of about three parts bark chips, one part ericaceous compost and one part perlite - drains brilliantly, and i let them dry out suitably before rewatering. the meyer will probably be due for watering in another 3 or 4 days by the feel of the potting mix - would it be worth fertilizing then? i use a citrus fertilizer, 25-6.5-12.5 with trace minerals copper, iron and magnese. i also have iron sachets that i was planning to use in the spring with the new growth.

just wanted to know if i should leave well enough alone or give it a little nudge with something extra :)

i have enclosed a pic. any thoughts?

danny

Attached Files:

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The spots on the leaves look like some sort of contact damage--maybe salt-- I would stop spraying the leaves for now and let it recover.

The fertilizer you are using has a very good ratio of major elements--perfect for container citrus where the use ratio is 5-1-3 NPK. With your new media and the fertilizer, you just need to give it time.

3. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

:) thats all good to hear! the leaves it is dropping seem to be the leaves that were sick or damaged at the garden center, so maybe it just getting rid of them and growing roots to support new fresher leaves :)